Problems with another computer booting up

wally222

Baseband Member
For this computer, the motherboard powers up, CPU powers up, but nothing appears on the screen of the monitor. It's as if the monitor is in hibernation mode, as it just has the orange standby light on, and not the normal green to tell you it's on. Has anyone come across this problem before?

Hear any beeping form the PC?

Try to clear the CMOS by removing and placing back the battery. Try reseating the RAM also.

I don't hear any beeping in the PC, as it is pretty much silent other that the CPU fan and the power supply fan. That is to say, I also didn't hear anything from the hard drive when I booted it up.

Follow this procedure

THE BAREBONES HARDWARE FOR VIDEO

the only required parts you need for video are.

1.Motherboard
2.Powersupply
3.CPU
4.RAM
5.Videocard /unless you have onboard video

And make sure you have a known good working monitor and power cables for both the PC and monitor,
and make sure the monitor is powered on.

and before when even get down to it , Make sure you have a large enough power supply.
Dont even waste your time doing this if you are trying to boot a system with 2 X1950XTXs in crossfire, and 6 Hardrives with a 300 Watt power supply.

Ok Lets Start

1. REMOVE the motherboard, place it on a Plastic surafce/ such as a rubber mat, or a large square of packing material.

2. Start putting the ram, cpu & heatsink/fan, videocard (some videocards Need additional power make sure you are plugging power into these places as well). ONE thing at a time, double check and make sure everything is in place properly and plugged in I.E. CPU fan.

3. Plug the power supply into the board (some boards require additional power, make sure you are plugging the power into these places as well),

4. Take your case and move it by the board and plug the powerswitch onto the CORRECT pins on the motherboard.(consult your motherboards manual if you dont know where these are)

5. Also try hooking up the small speaker in your pc to the CORRECT pins on the mobo to get a diagnostic beep code. (consult your motherboards manual if you dont know where these are)

6. Hook up the monitor to the back of the videocard, carefully, its not screwed down so it can pop out easily. (if your using onboard video this step does not pertain to you)
If you have onboard video just plug it into the VGA port of the back of the motherboard.

7. Press the power button.

Did you hear any Beeps? any video?

If you still dont have video try this only if you have both onboard video and a Slot based videocard I.E. PCI-E/AGP/PCI pull the Slot based video card and try the onboard)

still none?

If you still dont have any video, Try replacing the easiest compents first, such as Ram, then Videocard, then PSU, then CPU, then Motherboard. Just ONE at a time and try booting and listening for beeps after each one.

Make sure you have known good working Componets your replacing them with as well, and make sure they are compatible.

That should narrow down what componet is causing trouble.

Good Luck, LambofGod

Thanks...do you think it could also be a problem with the hard drive as well, being that I don't hear a sound at all coming from it?

As of right now that isnt a concern as you are not getting video.

A hard drive will not cause that problem.

But if you cant hear it, or feel it powering on.

Than if could be a few things,

No connected correctly, not enough power, bad harddrive ect....

Is it also worth noting of the fact that when the computer boots up, the red light beneath the power light at the front of the case doesn't light up?

Thats probally your HDD activity light, it may not be hooked up onto the correct pins on the motherboard.

consult your motherboards manual

:D

(but thats not a big deal)

Back
Top Bottom