Problem with XP reinstall and accessing old Document file structure

chil3241

Beta member
Hi My name is Simon,

I have a serious problem with my PC..... as a result of one of my friends on Sunday night wanting to show me something on the internet and this required him downloading and installing Kazaa!!

As a result I was infested by dozens of spyware apps and popup thingys.... Attempted to delete them all but as a result started to corrupt windows so I decided to reinstall windows xp and start again..... took a couple of attempts but eventually got windows back on there but it wanted a fresh login and computer name off me!

I've reinstalled XP before and I thought it just detected that there were already profiles on the OS and just asked you to confirm the passwords and away it went!

Instead I now have new profiles and within C:/Documents and Settings/ there are now duplicate profiles for "Simon", "Claire" (My girlfriend) and "Adminstrator"

Simon~Desktop
Claire~Desktop
Administrator~Desktop

Desktop being the name of the Computer I set in the XP reinstall.

This wasn't going to be too much of a problem (there wasn't much in the folder except a few music files that I have on their original CD's anyway). Until I realised a few days ago I had emptied my digital camera of some pictures I had taken for work a few days before and I had put them in My pictures!

These are really important.... I need to acces them??

I've tried logging in as administrator within safe mode etc and tried accessing them, but it is still telling me access denied.

Any way of getting at least temporary access to this folder??

I would appreciate a quick response to this as it is rather urgent??

Thanks in advance

Simon

Next time just download adware and spybot search and destroy. They should take down anything kazza has introduced.

I really hate these problems and havent figured out an exact way to overide it.

Here is the only thing I can think up:

Try copying the document and settings folder and pasting it in a new location. Try copying other folders inside the doc and set folders if this doesnt work.

Tried all these...

The Adware kept coming back... tried numourous programs to get rid of them.

I did have a kind of success when something similar happened to my laptop but they seriously were not going away in any shape or form! Hense I wasn't impressed when he installed this as I know of the problems involved!

I've tried copying it but it still denies me access... also moving things into it?

I'm after some kind of app that would allow me to break into it really??

Any more suggestions?

Simon

You need to disable 'simple file sharing'. Click tools->folder options->view, remove tick from 'use simple file sharing'.
-M

Back
Top Bottom