Problem with...well...problematic Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

you_filthy_pig

Beta member
hey guys,

i just recently bought an old game (Starcraft), and the installer runs in OS 9. So, I go to start up classic, and all that happens is that the little smily face mac shows up for a second, and then it goes to the Mac OS sign (the two faces smiling). Then it just stays there, and the loading bar doesnt move at all. my computer was bought last september, and its a G4 laptop, 1.5 ghz, 1.25 gb of ram, and im running tiger (10.4). any help here would be much appreciated. and by the way, a few months ago i tried reinstalling OS 9 for another reason, so i dont know how that would help now. cheers in advance...

Ry

Which version of 9 is installed? I'm a little surprised a newer machine will even offer OS 9 as a boot option. But assuming it is 9 bootable, it may require 9.2.2

I'm running 9.2.2, but I'm not even trying to restart the computer in system 9. All I want is to start up 9 within OSX. It wont do even that. It just sort of freezes.

Sorry, I don't really know what this jumble of text means....Is this directions, or is it a location within my computer? I don't see how this is a command...

The bad news is, the extensions required to run the OS 9 game probably won't load, so the game probably won't work.

To bless the Classic folder...

Go to the Hard Drive-Applications-Utilities-Terminal

When it comes up, type "sudo passwd root" and hit enter.
It will prompt you for a new password; if you want, make it the same as the password you use for your computer. Hit enter and it will ask you to retype the password. Do that and hit enter.
NOTE THAT NO CHARACTERS OF ANY TYPE WILL SHOW UP WHEN YOU ARE TYPING IN AND CONFIRMING THE PASSWORD.
This password is called the root password; always remember it; you may need it later.

Now that this is done, the terminal will return to a prompt.
Type in "su". The terminal will ask for a password. Type in the root password, or the one that you set earlier, and hit enter. Remember that no characters will show up while you are typing the password.

OK, now that the hard part is behind you, we can get down to business. When the prompt reappears, type "bless -folder9 /Volumes/[whatever the name of the drive where the OS 9 system folder is]/System*" and hit enter. Do not put the name of the drive in brackets. Then go to quit and hit "Terminate" in the window that pops up.

That's it...good luck.

OK, i did that, and it said something like "unrecognized option" or something. as i wasnt too keen on giving it the wrong command, i didnt hit terminate. now, when you say "whatever the name of the drive where the OS 9 system folder is", what do you mean? the term drive is used more for PC's. my hard drive is called Macintosh HD, while my account is tomfiner.

.....?

you_filthy_pig said:
now, when you say "whatever the name of the drive where the OS 9 system folder is", what do you mean?
I mean the name of the hard drive that contains the OS 9 system folder
The OS 9 system folder should look something like this:

Untitled.jpg

For example, he name of the drive that this is on is "MacOS9". So, I would type in (assuming I set the root password via "sudo passwd root")...

Code:
su
*types in root password*
bless -folder9 /Volumes/MacOS9/System*

...then quit terminal and hit "Terminate" in the window that pops up.

Still confused...i did a search for "macos9" and nothing came up. the only folder that has that same icon is my "System Folder (from old Mac)". I apparently dont have a folder called MacOS9.

Ry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom