Problem with Replacing Dell 8200 Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo926

Solid State Member
Ok, I got this computer from some one who had a power surge and frted the power supply, he filed an insurance claim and got a brand spanking new one, heres the deal I bought a new power supply not made by dell, it said that it would replace the one I had though, Heres the problem, the computer seems to be running but the screen will not come out of standby, It wont show anything. I wen as far as replacing the video card with a gforce 4 i had laying around. Any thoughts?

Pick a componant LOL if the surge could cool the psu then it could cook the whole thing. You could replace all the periphrials with known good components and see if you can get it to boot, I am betting the mobo is cooked.

I've got a Dell 8300 and sometimes this happens to me also. I have shutoff (Auto-timed) system stand-by but sometimes i'll manual put it in system stand-by. Once in awhile i'll hit a key to bring it out, and the monitor will stay off and won't come out of stand-by. Nothing works to get it back except rebooting. It's not the power supply, i believe it's a glitch in the MOBO. Dell MOBO's are garbage you know.

Turn off system stand-by in your power settings.

under windows go into the desktop properties (asuming you got your monitor out of standby) click screen saver and then at the bottom power options.

In the bios there should also be some power configuration options that you can change, one of which is standby.

Their's a good chance if you didnt use a dell compliant power supply you friend your ENTIRE pc.

Dell PC's put the voltages on different parts, so if you need to upgrade power supply you have to go the dell route.

hmmm, should I as for a refund from the company that sent me this then, they seaid that it would replace the exact power supply I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom