Problem with motherboard cpua nd ram plz HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abercrombie

Baseband Member
Problem with motherboard cpu and ram plz HELP

Ok heres my problem I have a xp3000 333mhz and this motherbaord http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128281R
and I have 512 ram thats ddr400 and it runs at 1.3 my processor ive tried calling gigabyte but there a whole bunch of idiots they didnt even know. I tried messing around with the setting in coms but still couldnt get it to read the right speed can anyone help me you can either type it here or add me on aim soccerlovesme05.

so your saying ur cpu is runing at 1.3gig rather than around 2.0 ( i think that wats it is for that chip) go into ur bios and make sure ur fsb is set to 166 not 100 or 133, then make sure ur multiplier is set right.

and what should i set the switch on the mobo on or off? and what should i set the memory to under cmos i can set it to auto 0-200% what should i put it to?

There should be something about CPU ratio or something like that. You can change the number by it (called the multiplier) and raise or lower it. This number is used to find the clock speed of the processor. It takes the multiplier and multiplies the FSB by it.

example: FSB of 200 and multiplier of 10 would give you a clock speed of 2000 MHz OR 2 GHz (which is how processors are generally advertised as, "new 4 GHz pentium processor!"). I'm sure you've heard stuff like that before.

Go here: http://www.cpuid.com

Download CPU-Z version 1.29. See what your multiplier is. Also see what your core clock speed is for your processor. Look at the FSB too. This all helps determine what your multiplier should be at.

EXAMPLE
Let's say your core speed is 1300 MHz and your multiplier is 13 and your FSB is 100. 100 x 13 = 1300. Easy to see where the numbers come from. Now, by upping the FSB, you can start to overclock. However, there is a maximum core speed for your processor. Now, if your FSB is at 100, but should be at 166, you'll need to fiddle with your multiplier too. Just quickly calculate what your multiplier will need to be for certain speeds to get it to 2000 MHz. Do one at 133, and one at 166, or whereever else you need to calculate for.

2000 / 100 = 20 (There is no way you'll have a multiplier of 20, which is why the FSB need to be raised)
2000 / 133 = 15
2000 / 166 = 12

So to achieve a FSB of 166 and a clock speed of 2000 MHz (or 2 GHz), you'll need a FSB of 166 (obviously) and a multiplier of 12. That will get you close.

Now when you do this, you should go up slowly and see what happens. Since you CAN handle 1.3 GHz, raise the FSB without changing the core speed until you get close to 1.3. So, for the first step of 133, claculate what you need to keep the processor around 1.3 GHz. 1300 / 133 = 9.7 (make it 10). Now when you hit this point, you should have a speed of 1.33 GHz. Now slowly raise the multiplier until you get as close to 2000 as you can, but only go in small steps.
133 x 11 = 1463 (keep going if this is stable)
133 x 12 = 1596 (keep going if this is stable)
133 x 13 = 1729 (keep going if this is stable).... you get the point, but do not go over 2000 MHz yet.

When you get your highest number, and know that it is stable there, it is where you'll want to work from for the next part. (for the sake of this example, we'll use 1729). Now divide it by 166 to see what you need to decrease your multiplier to for the next jump. 1729 / 166 = 10.4 (round to 10). Now raise the FSB to 166, and the multiplier to 10 and see if you're stable. You should now be at 1660 MHz. Slowly raise the multiplier again until you get the speed you need.

Remeber, that was an example. You have to use your own numbers to put it in. If your FSB is already at 166, then you'll need to increase the multiplier. If you increase the FSB, remember to watch the RAM also and make sure that doesn't go too high (you may need to resort to dividers).

Ok I think I understand it but where do I change the multiplier I looked all over cmos and didnt find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom