Problem with home network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nando

Beta member
In my home network I have 2 computers hooked to a DSL router. I recently returned home from college and found that the network was taken down. I tried putting it all back up, but when I try to connect my computer (XP pro, nvidia MCP network) to my router, it says that the router isn't there. I know it's not the cable because if connect the cable directly to the DSL modem it works fine, and I know it's not the router because I checked all the ports on the router with the other computer and they seem to be working fine. I've updated to the latest drivers but that hasn't helped. What else can I try?

well it definately didn't say the router wasn't there, but i know what you are saying. to fix your IP problem you need to go to control panel and click network connections. right click on the network connection that is connected to the router (example: labeled "local area connection", ect.) and select "disbale".

than right click on it again and select "enable" you are now back in business my friend. :) otherwise try another port on router or reset your router, there would be a reset button on the router or in it's configuration setup.

I have disabled and re-enabled the connection several times. This is the second day I've been working on this, so most things I've tried at least twice ;) You're right, it doesn't say that it's not there it does the page not found error. How would I try another port on my router? It's IP is 192.168.8.1, so when I try to connect to it I just do http://192.168.8.1. When I'm on the other computer I look at the list of DHCP clients and my computer is not on it (obviously.) So, any other suggestions?

Is your LAN connection on this PC using a dynamic IP address? If so, what is the IP address of the PC?

-Mike

The PC is supposed to get it's local IP from the router. There is a DHCP sever on the router but since the PC cannot connect to it it never gets an IP.

you have tried everything you said, does this include resetting router? unplug all cables from router just in case and reset it by pressing and holding down on reset button for 60 secs. reconnect all cables.

usually you do not need to disconect cables but you may have a special situation. just to be sure, you did say this used to work before right? or is this something new you are trying?

Are you getting a link light on both the PCs network card and the associated port on the router? If so, can you ping the other PC on the router?
I think what you are dealing with here is either a bad NIC/cable or just a matter of resetting the router.

-Mike

I had done all of those things. When I had the cable going from my computer to the router I got the lights on both ends (NIC and router.) So last night I moved the router to the other end of the cable. (Down a floor, long cable ;) ) And tried the cable with the other computer. I get a blinking green light on the router. That happened to me before with a bad cable, so I guess that's what it is. The question is, why does the cable work directly to a modem, but not to a router?

I have had this happen recently with one of my clients.
The cable modem that you are using probably doesn't utilize all of the paired pins like yuor router does.
Example: If you were to pair up 1,2 and 3,6 and nothing else on the cable then this would probably work. No matter what the cables were (as long as they were paired up). However when connected to a router, it will use more than the 2-pairs. And in conjunction, the pairs must be a standard with all concurrent connections (as long, once again, as they were paired).
So, to make a long story short....if you are able to cut and crimp then go ahead and cut and crimp at both ends:
With the tab facing away from you.....from left to right
Pin 1 - Orange-White
Pin 2 - Orange
Pin 3 - Green-White
Pin 4 - Blue
Pin 5 - Blue-White
Pin 6 - Green
Pin 7 - Brown-White
Pin 8 - Brown

If you are unable to do this because of lack of equipment....then just buy straight though Cat5e cables

-Mike

Your cable solution worked. I was sure the cable worked fine, but I guess you're right with some pairs not being used. Thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom