Problem with DX10/Directplay

bob1234

Solid State Member
I am having problems using multiplayer in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 in Windows Vista.
When I attempt to start multiplayer, I get the following message (Trying to connect to the IVAO network):

"IvAp has encountered an error while creating a multiplayer session. If you continue, you can use IvAp normally, however you will not be able to see any traffic. Please verify if your Direct X/Direct Play installation is working correct, you can verify this by using the Direct X Diagnostics tool (dxdiag)"

I understand that this is because I am running DirectX 10, which does not support Directplay, which MSFS requires to run correctly in multiplayer mode.

Is there any way that I can revert back to DX9c, or another way to avoid this issue?

Running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron 6400 notebook.
1.83gHZ processor, 1GB RAM, Intel 945GM Integrated graphics.

Thanks,
Matt :)

Hmmm you DX10 is also DX9 backward compatible. It uses DX9 when it needs. Try updating your DX 9.

The game runs fine, it just doesn't connect to multiplayer.
I have tried downloading updates for Direct X9, but all that did was install a load of SDKs.
Tried DXDiag, but no problems were found.

I only just remembered this thread, and though I'd better post the solution.

I spent a few weeks troubleshooting this issue, and in the end found out that it was a problem with anti-virus/security centre software. I had previously eliminated this as a possiblity, because I had tried disabling it, and the problem still was existing.
However, I uninstalled McAfee Security Centre, and bingo! I was able to log onto multiplayer no problems whatsoever.
So, there is something in certain Security Centres that prevent the DX from loading correctly. There are a few SCs that have this problem as well as McAfee; I know that certain versions of Norton can also cause this.

Cheers,
Matt :)

Back
Top Bottom