Problem with DVD drive...

k0409964

In Runtime
I have got a real problem with my DVD drive, its on a laptop, and the drive is a QSI DVD +-RW SDW-082 LX44. Now, its not just when i try and backup my DVDs but i will use that as an example.

So i have an image that i want to write to DVD, i use NERO 7 and follow all the instructions etc, and start writing, now for one it seems to take a long time to write, but okay i'm on a laptop, but it goes all the way to 100% and then says its finsihed and pops the dvd out the drive, all very normal i am sure you are thinking, but then when i turn the DVD and look at the side were the data is written, and you know you can sorta see the line were it has written to on the actual disk, so if the disk is full us expect it to be near the outter edge and vise versa, well with a image of 4.35gig the line is only about 9mm from the center of the disk, and when i put it back in the drive it just totally f*cks up just frezzing etc!!! please can someone help me cos this is driving me mad!

i am running Win XP SP2 etc, and i 99% sure i have all the right drivers etc

P.S it writes to CDRW fine no problems!! and it is not just NERO, if i try and use the default windows writter it does the same thing!!!

Thanks for the help...

Have u tried different brands of media? and also might want to update firmware for the drive, it might fix errors.

i've tried DVD-R and DVD+R and the same result, and i've tryed updateing the drives firmware...

Yeah does sound like a messed up drive! Unless anyone else has any suggestions, this is the way its looking. Out of interest, when windows burns dvds, does it have its own built in dvd burner, or does it rely on third party burners like Nero. Like the way Media player relies on third party dvd decoders for dvd playback...

Maybe Nero is knackered, nero 7 never works for me, and its affecting windows burning?

I dont think it uses a 3rd party burner, i just drag the files i want onto the D: drive and press write to cd, then it just messes up.

thanks for the help tho...

Back
Top Bottom