problem with converting an external hdd to an internal

jgaumer

Beta member
the usb connector on my external broke so i opened the case and put it inside as an internal. its now connected as a sata drive. the problem is that only a small percent of the files still work. its a 1.5 T drive filled mostly with video. whenever i try to watch something vlc player says it cannot play the file after a long wait.

not sure what the problem is, any help would be appreciated

thanks!

small update: occasionally i get an i/o error when accessing some files

So the only reason you took it apart is because the USB connector broke? It's a good reason but what you're describing sounds like possible hardware failure of the drive itself.

What file extension do these files have attached? If the hard drive used a proprietary program to access these files, they may have a different file extension than standard video.

If the file extensions have changed and you remember what they were, rename the files with the proper extensions.

the usb port on the drive physically broke off. i would have needed to solder it back on. all the files are avi or mkv.

any attempt to change or move the files results in the i/o error

Ok, just checking, was wondering if there were any other issues occurring before the connector broke off.

Sounds like the drive may be failing itself, are some of the files accessible? I noticed you said it gave you an i/o error when accessing some of the files.

no other issues before the connector broke. drive worked fine.

some .avi files work fine, others wont open. when attempting to move or modify the not working files is when the i/o error pops up.

i also get the i/o error when trying to access some subfolders. for example: the folder "tv" works but when trying to access the "movies" folder the i/o error happens.

then within the "tv" folder, some files will play and others will not. which ones work seems random.

Download THIS and check your SMART stats, I'm wondering if that drive is failing..

There's no reason those files should be inaccessible after just pulling it from the enclosure. You didn't use any proprietary software, correct?

Back
Top Bottom