Problem with connect to serial port

chris0147

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I need your help as I have got a problem with connect to the serial port on my motherboard. I have plugged the usb at the back of the set top box and I have plugged the male serial to the female serial adapter then to the male serial port at the back of the motherboard. When I plugged it there is no blue light come on my set top box. I have plugged the usb at the back of the set top box to the front usb port on my computer and the blue light come on so it works fine. There is nothing wrong with the serial cable that I plugged to the male serial at the back of the motherboard as the cable are brand new. I cant connect to the set top box using serial so I guess that it could have been disabled on the motherboard.

The name of the motherboard I have got is called ASROCK 980DE3/U3S3.

Do you know why I cant connect to the set top box using serial?

How I can enable it and get it to work?

I need to connect to the set top box using serial because i want to use putty software to command with the set top box. The putty software will not connect to the usb so i have to use serial to connect to the set top box.

Any advice would be much appreicated.

Thanks in advance.

It's been quite a few years since I did anything with a serial port.

It may be that the serial port needs to be enabled in the motherboard BIOS. If it is already enabled, you can then go to Device Manager to configure the port settings:
  • Go to Windows Device manager > Multi-port serial adapters.
  • Select the adapter and right click to open the menu.
  • Click on the Properties link.
  • Open the Ports Configuration tab.
  • Click on the Port Setting button.
  • Select the Port Number and click OK.
  • Click OK to apply the changes.

Back
Top Bottom