Problem setting up a homegroup

Maybe an obvious answer but both are Win7?

Can you provide more details about what you've done and how you've tried to troubleshoot it already?

yes both systems are win7 and i did the homegroup troubleshoot and it said to put both computers at the exact same time so that they can see each other. it also mentioned that my firewall might be preventing my computers to see each other but my knowledge on computers is limited but i am determined to learn a thing or two

Unfortunately, I can't really troubleshoot Win7 homegroup because I have a limited amount of experience with it. The 2 times I've set it up, it has worked perfect....sorry.

This may be too obvious of a question, but are both machines set for the same Workgroup? I assume you're using a Workgroup as opposed to a domain. Also, what versions of Windows 7? The particular version shouldn't matter too much if running on a workgroup, but only certain versions can be joined to a domain.

The OP is trying to setup a Win 7 Homegroup which is different than a Workgroup. In previous versions of Windows you could have a Workgroup named HOMEGROUP but Win 7 introduced the Homegroup which is a separate entity from a Workgroup.

To the OP, did you setup the Homegroup on the first computer then enter the password provided on the 2nd computer to join the Homegroup?

Workgroups work in both OSes without having to jump through too many hoops. That's why I suggested it as opposed to using a Homegroup...

Back
Top Bottom