Problem playing video files

Status
Not open for further replies.

jworld2

Beta member
I was trying to watch an avi file that I have and when I went to play it using VLC Media Player, it gave me the message, "VLC Media Player just crashed. Do you want to send a bug report to the development team?" I clicked no and VLC exited out. I then tried to play the avi in Windows Media Player and got an error message saying that the file could not be played and I also got the same message trying to play the file using Winamp.

Seeing that avi files didn't work, I also tried playing mpgs and wmvs, to no avail. I already had the Vista Codec pack installed, but I downloaded and installed the XP Codec pack to see if that helped anything, but it didn't. I then downloaded and installed k-lite codec pack, but that didn't help either.

I've never had trouble playing my video files before, but I hadn't played any of them for quite a while until today, and numerous changes have been made to the program files and other documents and such, so I don't know if any of those changes have affected my computer's ability to play my video files.

If any of you could please try and help me with this problem, I would be very grateful, because I have no idea where to go from here.

PS- Sorry this is so long.

No, the files aren't corrupted. I just burned one of the avi files to dvd and it works fine in a dvd player, but even when I try to play the dvd on my computer, I get the same errors.

i'm thinking you tried a few different files in different players and the files crash the programs. event viewer may have show more detailed errors. Also, I'm not familar with Vista & XP Codec Packs. I am familar with K Lite Codec Pack. You could try uninstalling the current codec packs. Then, downloading from free-codecs.com and installing new codec files. The uninstall of current codecs may be tricky. You could also try playing these files on a different machine.

I already had vista codec pack. I downloaded xp and k-lite to see if that would fix the problem, which obviously it didn't. I don't currently have a different machine that I can play the files on, but I will try that once I have access to another machine.

Like Office stated, I'm also familiar with K-Lite Codec pack. Since you have 3 different packs installed, maybe they can be conflicting as well. You can try uninstalling each with IObit Uninstaller as it also clears left back registry files when uninstalled. Then you can reinstall just K-Lite Codec pack and see if the problem persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom