Problem flashing to DD-WRT

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
Ok, so I just downloaded DD-WRT v24 for my Linksys wrt54g2 (version 1). I can't even get to the point where i can start flashing. I'm following the directions they have on the site. I get all the settings to factory defualt, set my IP to what it wants (192.168.1.10) and start running tftp. The first thing you are supposed to run is a prep thing (which I've downloaded) but tftp cannot connect to the server (my router).

I'm using admin as the password and default ip for the router. so any idea why it cannot connect?

I have a slightly different model, and on my model, you download the firmware file and log into the router's interface and go to the Administration tab, and then Firmware Upgrade. Look below:

linksys_router_firmware_upgrade.jpg

Then when you click Firmware Upgrade, you should have that file on your local machine (your desktop, for example). Just browse to that file, and click the Upgrade button. Don't touch the router or press reset or you will brick it.

linksys_router_firmware_upgrade1.jpg

DD-wrt is aftermarket and not made by linksys, so their standard flash utility won't work.

Does it show that you can communicate with the router (i.e. default gateway on IPCONFIG showing your router's IP)? Have you tried just for the hell of it to do a hard reset for all the options and just start from scratch (hold reset for 15 seconds, unplug, wait 30 seconds, and replug in while still holding reset)?

I've done the hard reset, and I can go like online and everything so it's just that one program.

I was reading, have you tried setting the admin password to a blank password? That's the consensus I'm finding on some articles with using TFTP clients.

No, i didn't. I'll have to give that a try. It will be on monday though, since I won't be back in my dorm until then.

While we wait for me to get back to the dorm, if anyone else has idea's i'd love to hear them as well. THe more ammo I have the better.

1. When you are flashing, are you using a static IP address in the same subnet as your router? If your router's address is 192.168.1.1, set the computer you connected to the LAN port to 192.168.1.100, with a subnet of 255.255.255.0, and a default gateway of 192.168.1.1.

2. Make sure you are not using Firefox to interface with the router at all. Use IE.

3. Just to be sure that you are using the proper command, once you are in the command prompt, you should be using the following syntax:

Code:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

192.168.1.1 = IP address of router
dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin = filename of firmware file

Make sure when you submit the tftp command, you have browsed to the same directory in the command prompt that the firmware file resides.

hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom