Problem, any ideas???

joker_king16

Baseband Member
Every time I boot my computer, after 2-3 minutes the monitor goes blank, it says no signal, then I press the Windows key and it comes back on after 10 seonds or so.

Also, there are times when I am doing normal applications and it freezes for 10-15 seconds on the screen.

Is this a monitor, processor, OS, memory, MB, or something else problem?

usually when the monitor isnt working its the memory but i dont want to "put all my eggs in one basket" and say it is in fact the memory

I ran the extended version of the Windows Diagnostic TEst for memory and it found no errors. Now what should I try?

ADDENDUM to 1st post:

The monitor also will not show the bootup screen when I restart. I have to shut it down completely and the power up again.

PLEASE HELP.

do you have an onboard graphics card or one that is AGP, PCI, or PCI-E

if its the second one, make sure the card is seated properly and that there is enough power getting to the card.

i never heard of a problem like this so i'm just throwing in my 2 cents :)

I have a 6800GT, and I've never had any problems with it before this. I have a 480W PSU, which should be good enough, right?

...480watt psu is more than enough for a 6800gt. though it's usually recommended to have 500+ watt, but... that's beside the point.
that's a very odd problem, try different drivers, and try running it safemode and scanning it for any malicious software/spyware/adware that might've infected your computer.
this is a very sudden occurence, is it not?

kchi55 said:
this is a very sudden occurence, is it not?

I got a message 2 weeks ago that my video card was not receiving sufficient power. I checked all the cords, and when I turned it back on it worked fine until now.

lets see.. well i use a 6800gs.. and it has a connector that directly connects with the power supply. i'm gonna take a guess and say that the 6800 series cards all have this. this would mean.. that the 6800gt uses up considerably more power than.. say.. a card in the 7600 series. i would ask a friend with a higher power supply say.. 520 watt? and see if you still get problems when you use it. now that i think about it, it COULD be a power deficiency problem.

why the problem all of a sudden. ive had this computer almost a yr now.

btw i scanned for malicious software. none detected.

why the problem all of a sudden. ive had this computer almost a yr now.

also, just ran a virus check. no malicious software detected.

Back
Top Bottom