powers on but dead screen

dude_se

Proper Legend
i said id look at someones computer for them because they said "it doesnt turn on". turns out that was down to a loose cable and it now powers on fine, except the screen is dead, no beeps, and the hdd light is solidly on. everything seems plugged in and as it should be, but i dont know. im no repair whizz.

any ideas?

video card or bad monitor I would guess. Maybe try a different monitor, or if it has two monitor outputs try using the other one.

monitor is fine. i use it every day and just tested it with my laptop.
only had dvi as the other slot and i dont have the right cable

did you make any recent changes to any of the computer hardware inside your case? If you did make sure you plugged in the power connectors completely secure in the right spots.

make sure the video card is seated properly as well and if it requires a power connector then make sure it is also plugged in.

the problem is clearly not the monitor so it must be hardware related

as i said its not my pc, so i know little about it. ive taken out the graphics card and put it back in with no luck. not sure if it requires a power connector ... there is a bit on the edge of the card that looks like something can be attatched to it but i have no idea.

i said id look at someones computer for them because they said "it doesnt turn on". turns out that was down to a loose cable and it now powers on fine, except the screen is dead, no beeps, and the hdd light is solidly on. everything seems plugged in and as it should be, but i dont know. im no repair whizz.

any ideas?

Unplug all the non essential stuff from the motherboard , the hdd's the dvd drive if the motherboard has onborad graphics take the graphics card out as well and plug the monitor into the onboard graphics
Does it work then ?

its a bit late now so ill just try in the morning. dont think it has onboard graphics at all.
ill let you know how i get on.

ive got a spare pci graphics card that i could test in it too

as i said before. its not my pc. i havent done a thing, apart from fixing a loose cable and switching it on

When you get a chance, find the model number of the card so we can have a look and see what it is. Also, make sure the cable on the back of the monitor is plugged all the way.

Back
Top Bottom