power surge

jon the noob

In Runtime
Power surge, don't know where to turn

I have an HP Pavilion with a 700w psu and a radeon 3850 gpu

A storm blew through tonight and I witnessed my computer get a power surge and shut off

I thought it was plugged into a surge protector, but it wasn't

When I try to boot up, it gets past the windows logo, and then it flashes a blue screen and restarts. This is an infinite loop

It will not boot into safe mode, and I can't find a cd for a bootup (although I'm 95% sure it's a hardware problem)

Where to begin? I'll find my old psu tomorrow and see if that's the problem, but if it's not, what do I do?

If my motherboard got blown, chances are my GPU and CPU did too, right? Possible hard drives too (which is like everything)

If the new psu doesn't work, what would I do?

Re: Power surge, don't know where to turn

Welps, take out all the pci cards you can to rule that out. If it's not a pci card I would probably think it was memory. Run a memtest and see if you get errors. Pretty much just trial and error from there on. Good luck.

I'm going to put my money on the RAM. Reason?

It's definitely not the PSU since it powers up. It can't be the motherboard nor the CPU because you get to the Windows Logo Screen. BSoDs are also often associated with memory. Just my 2 cents though.

I agree, alot of the blue screen CAN (most of them have lots of options on why they come up) be due to the ram. If you even have an old 256 stick that's the same type, try that out. Run a mem test. Since the windows logo comes up anyway.. try poping the CD in there and see how far that gets you.

UPDATE:

I got new ram and put it in. The computer still restarts, heres what it does:

1. Shows HP blue startup screen
2. Flashes a few lines of text very fast
3. Resets my monitor
4. Restarts

It does that in an endless loop. Its not the ram, so where do i turn from here :confused: :confused:

I was thinking possibly harddrives...

bump..

need help

UPDATE:

3. Resets my monitor
4. Restarts

It does that in an endless loop. Its not the ram, so where do i turn from here :confused: :confused:

Get a new power strip as they are a onetime tool.
Is there a reset button on your power supply?
Chg your PS.

UPDATE:

3. Resets my monitor
4. Restarts

Could be a motherboard problem.

Power supply sounds good, could have done some damage to the ram slots, does it post without the ram in it at all? Swap Motherboards, if this is not possible, test the components of the pc one at a time. (Put that hard drives in another pc, maybe run a disk utility on them like spinrite, or even a simple chkdsk), re-seat the processor and heatsink, remove any extra hardware (NIC's, Graphics Cards, Audio, CD-ROM, etc...). Remove all of these, try and boot bare minimum, then if it does boot, re-introduce the devices one at a time.

But from the sound of it, I'm going to have to go with Tommy Boy and say it's the mobo.

Back
Top Bottom