Power supply upgrade

Danny93

In Runtime
I have been looking at upgrading my 300w Fortron power supply, my new PSU should be at least 550W.

I have been looking at this 550W Powercool PSU.
It would be used to power a Geforce 9800 GT when I upgrade my computer.
Here is my system specs:
AMD Phenom X4 1.8ghz
2GB DDR2 ram
320GB 7200RPM Hard drive
ATI 780 Chipset (HD3200)
Integrated 5.1 Audio

Also has a card reader.
How would this power supply work with my new system?

It has a good variety of connectors.
20+4pin Power Connector
4pin ATX12V Connector
4x Molex
4x SATA
1x 6pin PCI-Express
1x Floppy

In a while I would probably buy a powerful GPU such as a GTX 280.

I have been looking at upgrading my 300w Fortron power supply, my new PSU should be at least 550W.

I have been looking at this 550W Powercool PSU.
It would be used to power a Geforce 9800 GT when I upgrade my computer.
Here is my system specs:
AMD Phenom X4 1.8ghz
2GB DDR2 ram
320GB 7200RPM Hard drive
ATI 780 Chipset (HD3200)
Integrated 5.1 Audio

Also has a card reader.
How would this power supply work with my new system?

It has a good variety of connectors.
20+4pin Power Connector
4pin ATX12V Connector
4x Molex
4x SATA
1x 6pin PCI-Express
1x Floppy

In a while I would probably buy a powerful GPU such as a GTX 280.

it's usually a pretty bad sign when a psu has a high wattage rating and such low amps on the 12v rails (2 rails with 14a each), there are good 400w psus out there with more amps on the 12v rail(s) than that, I would get a brand with a little more name recognition, especially considering that you want to get a power hungry card like a GTX 280 in the near future, you want to get a psu that will be able to handle your future upgrade considerations as well, that way you won't have to buy yet another psu when you make the decision to upgrade...

this 520w Corsair or this 600w OCZ would be better choices, sure they cost more, but the psu is the backbone of your system and a cheap psu can lead to problems that make it seem like other parts are faulty when it's just a case of them not getting enough stable power to run properly, especially under load, and don't let that 520w rating fool you, that Corsair will handle a high end system quite easily...

You could easily get away with the 500W or even less, that Phenom is one of the low power variants, 65W TDP or something like that, and a 9800GT isn't exactly a great strain.

Back
Top Bottom