Power Supply Help

stevenkb5258

Beta member
Hi everyone

I'm planing to buy a new video card. I was looking at NviDia 6800GT or 6600GT. Either way it says that I need a 400WAT power supply. Is there anything I need to know before I get a new power supply?
Do you reccomend a better (not one that costs more) graphics card(s)?

Thanks

I would recommend more than a 300W power supply. That is probably the minimum requirement of running it. ALways give yourself extra room for other components.

Also, you will notice heat issues with the 6600GTs posted around this forum. There is nothing to worry about. The heat range can reach a max of 120 degrees celsius before problems occur. No way your 6600GT video card is going up that high.

I recomend getting a psu with atleast 18A on the 12v rail!! 25v and above is preffered, I'd also go with a 500watt psu if u get either of those cards!!!

heh yep 6600gt stock fan on mine went out a few weeks, ago, but I got the thermaltake giant III to go on it, and now it's all good, stays in an acceptable heat range.

Um, get a thermaltake or ANtec and get 450watts so that it will last for ages and anything you put into the system.

get An OCZ, they are the best ever :p and they look better than antec and thermaltake too. (OCZ modstream 450w and 520w)

I got a hiper psu, they seem pretty decent, it comes with all the connectors u need!!!

jack22 said:
Um, get a thermaltake or ANtec and get 450watts so that it will last for ages and anything you put into the system.

This is what someone said about the ANtec

"as title, if the fan dies, it burns. and it happens. Watch out for abnormal temp and smell, but no sound telling you that there is something wrong. My antec is good but the fan makes big noises sometimes. BTW when it burns it will melt something inside and this white stuff will stick to the circuit board.

And the warranty? they want to ship this heavy thing as YOUR cost. You most likely won't get big problem within 90 days. Installing a new fan, I assuem won't cost as much as the shipping"

I got an Antec, its fine. If you really can shell out the money get ultra x-connect.

I was reading though Custom PC, and they did a lab test on about 20 PSU, Antec, Hyper, etc, etc, and only one PSU could handle everything they through at it. It was a Tegan true 480watt PSU (TG480-U01).

28Amps on the 12v rail, 48Amps on the 5v rail and another 28Amps on the 3.3v rail. Also fully BTX compatible with the ATX converter chucked in. The rest on the PSU's on test chickened out when approaching about 80% of there full load, this stood strong to about 500watt.

Heres a link, It's a steal for the price -
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=82572

Here's another one, I'm guessing that it is a new version of the above PSU-
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=179312

Back
Top Bottom