Power Supply and Graphics Card Upgrade

Thopal

Solid State Member
Hello,

I brought a custom PC in July 2013 and still currently have the same setup.

The specs are the following:

700W PSU
AMD FX 4130 (4 x 3.8 GHZ)
Gigabyte GA-78LMT/USB3 (AMD 760G) - VGA/DVI/HDMI
ATI Radeon HD 7770 - 1 GB - (XFX) - (PCI-E)
1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-II HDD 7200 RPM 32MB
8 GB 1600MHz (1x8GB) - (DDR3)
Black ATX Tower Case

I would like to upgrade the graphics card so I can get better frame rate in newer games at 1080p. A new PSU as mine is a no name 700W which is very loud and I want a quieter one that is compatible with the new graphics card that I get. I might get a new processor if you all recommend because I think if I get a new graphics card, then my current processor will bottleneck it.

I will buy the parts from Amazon then go to a pc repair shop to install them for me.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
If your PSU isn't a no name then it's fine. I wouldn't be surprised for a second if your GPU is being bottlenecked by your CPU. Actually it would be if you're playing BF4.

Need a budget.

Hi,

What do you think of this ...

Processor - Upgrade to a AMD FX 9590

PSU - Upgrade to a Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze

Graphics Card - Upgrade to a Asus GTX 770 Nvidia GeForce DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (PCI Express 3.0, HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port, 256 Bit, 3D Vision Ready, GPU Boost 2.0)

Or what would you change from this?

I guess my budget could stretch to like £600 which is like 1000 USD

EDIT - I thought about this and I guess I would need to install a cooler etc which I don't really want to do. So maybe recommend a processor, graphics card and a PSU that can work with my current PC.

Last edited:
Hi man, thanks for this.

Are you 100% sure that this will all work with my Setup? Do you think it will overheat a lot? Do you think 770 Overclocked is an overkill? Do you think a normal 770 would be okay?

Well idk what kind of case you have, what your ambient temps are like (presumably chilly and lots of rain in England LOL), or how good your airflow is but the FX6300 should do what you want and stay decently cool.

Yes it will work assuming your current unspecified PSU is a standard unit. I would update your bios on your motherboard before installing the new CPU just to make sure the support is there.

The superclocked card was actually cheaper, and it just has a slightly factory OC on it. Is it overkill? Probably, but at least you won't have to update your card anytime soon as it's the 4GB version that fits your budget. The FX6300 should do what you want CPU wise to keep the GPU happy so I think you'll be alright with that setup. Just don't try overclocking that CPU on that motherboard.

My case is

Technical Info

Case Type ATX Midi Tower Colour Black with Silver Front Depth 498 MM Drive Bays External 3.5" 2 Open, 5 Hidden Expansion Slots 7 Full Size Front Panel Controls 2 x USB
No front panel audio.
Height 433 MM Model Number Front panel design may change slightly subject to stock. Motherboard Support All Types Special Features All edges debarred for safety
Zinc plated treatment
S.E.C.C. steel sheeting
FCC class CB&CE approved
Width 185 MM
bottom_left.gif

My PSU is

AC Input
230VAC 10A 50-60Hz Connectors Molex Connections: 6
Floppy Connections: 1
SATA Connections: 1
Depth 40mm Height 83.3mm Over Load Protection Built-in Warranty 1 Year Width 150mm

Back
Top Bottom