Power problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

red baron

Solid State Member
This has been happening a lot lately and I'm not sure why. Every once in a while my computer just turns off. Not a random shutdown or anything, it suddenly just loses power and restarts.

I have:

Kingwin Mutant X Case with a 420W ps
ASUS A7N8X-X mobo -update 1010 bios
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton 333MHz
ASUS nVidia 6600 256mb vid card
COOLER MASTER HAC-L82 80mm Sleeve Cooling Fan/Heatsink (supposed to run at 2200 rpms, is currently running steadily at about 2100~)

just your regular extras
cdrom
ram (512 x2)
hd (just trying to install a new one, but it's been crashing on me before installing the new hd)

My computer only recently started doing this, and I don't know why. I've had this computer since August of last year, so about 10 months.

I checked the cpu temp, and it's running at a 55C
I looked and found out that that was bad. So I now I'm unsure about what the problem is.

For a while I was thinking that my HD was bad, but I just installed the new one and it's still crapping out on me.

Now I'm starting to think the power supply is bad, or I have too much stuff in there for the 420W.

And now that I see that my cpu is running at such a high temp, I'm starting to think that I've fried my cpu, or at the very least, need a new, better fan.

Any suggestions or ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure how hot Bartons usually run at, but if 55C is an idle temp, that is a little on the high side. If you have had the comp for 10mths now, try cleaning up the dust in the case and CPU fan the best you can.

Have a look at my guide to troubleshooting at the top of the Hardware Troubleshooting forum (which is where I am about to move this thread to). Do some of the free stuff in my guide before you decide to spend some money on a new PSU, etc :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom