power converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliasaid

Fully Optimized
hey

i'm in the market for some power converters and i found a couple of good websites. my concern is the quality of these power converters... is there a way to know if they're any good? does anybody here have any experience with them? they seem pretty good and i'm gonna go ahead and order pretty soon... just want some feedback or perhaps a warning from soemone that has dealt with these..

these are the two websites:

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/index.html?loadfile=catalog1_0.html

http://www.voltageconverters.com/voltage_converters.html

they both seem good, dvdoverseas is cheaper, but the other company has a warehouse in canada and so i won't worry about duties, and if i buy over $100 (which i will) shipping will be free.. so i'm probably gonna go with www.voltageconverters.com

any suggestions / advice is greatly appreciated... i plan to fill out an order tonight.

thx

Sounds like you're moving overseas, heres another site with transformers http://www.mindlogic.com/Prod_VOLT.shtml. That site also has multisystem TV's and vcr's as well. Also if you're moving with family that might be military, usually people always have transformers at sale on posts at flea markets, since theres always someone moving away, so you can find some really cheap instead of buying new, thats what we did. The powerzone should have the Samsung SV-5000W converting VCR around $300-400 instead of the $500 price off mindlogic, its an okay converting vcr, though the image is a bit bouncy, but it does the job good in converting PAL to ntsc.

ohh i see, thx a lot. that website you gave is very similar to the ones that i'm lookin at, its good to make comparisons to, but i don't believe they have a warehouse in canada so i'll be ordering from www.voltageconverters.com

i have some questions though..

how much wattage do you think a 62inch DLP HDTV uses?

also, computer LCD monitors, they don't have power converters installed in them right? lol.. that kinds sounded funny.. but umm.. ya like you know how laptops you can just take anywhere in the world... and also with computers you can just flick the switch in the back.. ya.. how about lcd monitors?

I don't know what the DLP would use, I'm just guessing of maybe 200-400 watts possibly? I don't know check out the manufacture's website for that info. The LCD monitor should come with a AC adapter that'll automatically switch to 110v or 220v, it'll say so on the sticker on the unit if it ranges from 100v to 240v. My LCD monitor worked okay with 220v, but MAKE SURE the AC adapter says it can do 100-240v. Don't ever plug in any electronics or light bulbs that are 110v only in 220v outlets, same thing for a power strip, I killed one thinking it would do fine plugged in a 220v outlet, thinking that it would just put out 220v instead of 110v. But nope, it sparked a bit, then shut off the house's circuit breakers, lol.

ah thx a lot, had no idea about power bars.. thx for the heads up! :)

oh and you're right, the adaptor that came with my lcd screen said 100-240 volts :D (i had forgotten that it was plugged in via adaptor)

Also, stuff like PSU's for computers have a switch to choose 110 or 220, same thing for audio equipment, everything else should automatically switch, but make sure by looking at the stickers on them first. 110v clocks won't work properly with 220v, even with a transformer, since the hertz rate is 50hz instead of 60hz in USA-Canada, Japan is 100v or 110v but 50hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom