Powe Supply Selection

TextureBoy

Solid State Member
Hey guys, at the moment I'm planning to get the Ultra X4 750 Watt Modular PSU. I'm not sure how much watts my computer that I'm going to build really needs. I'm getting the graphics card GTX 470 and it uses 550 watts and my CPU is the i7 930. Motherboard is going to be the EVGA X58 Sli. I've heard that Corsair and Ultra's are the best PSU. The other PSU I am considering as an alternative is the Corsair 850 Watts but its not a modular.. Do I really need to get a modular one? If so what are the benefits of each ? (advantages and disadvantages)

Hey guys, at the moment I'm planning to get the Ultra X4 750 Watt Modular PSU. I'm not sure how much watts my computer that I'm going to build really needs. I'm getting the graphics card GTX 470 and it uses 550 watts and my CPU is the i7 930. Motherboard is going to be the EVGA X58 Sli. I've heard that Corsair and Ultra's are the best PSU. The other PSU I am considering as an alternative is the Corsair 850 Watts but its not a modular.. Do I really need to get a modular one? If so what are the benefits of each ? (advantages and disadvantages)

The video card alone does not use 550 watts. That's just the recommended amount of wattage for an entire computer that has that video card in it. And those specs are usually over kill.

As for modular, it's preference. All modular means is that you can unplug the cords you aren't using.

Also, I would strongly recommend that you get an HD5850 and flash it to a 5870 bios. It will come within ~5% of the performance of a 5870.

Back
Top Bottom