Potentially the longest thread in history...

Carbonated soft drinks are a way of life around here, but we call them all Cokes.

"I'm heading to the store. You want anything?"
"Yeah, get me a Coke."
"What kind?"
"Dr. Pepper."

Southeastern Tennessee drinks more Coca-Cola per capita than anywhere else in the world.

I drink way too much Coke Zero, as well as Mt. Dew Zero. Bang is my poison of choice but there are a few G-Fuel that I really like. Reign has some good flavors as well. I never cared much for Monster, hate Red Bull, but I really, really like Rockstar Punched Sugar Free.

Carbonated soft drinks are a way of life around here, but we call them all Cokes.

"Yeah, get me a Coke."
"What kind?"
"Dr. Pepper."

Southeastern Tennessee drinks more Coca-Cola per capita than anywhere else in the world.

I drink way too much Coke Zero, as well as Mt. Dew Zero. Bang is my poison of choice but there are a few G-Fuel that I really like. Reign has some good flavors as well. I never cared much for Monster, hate Red Bull, but I really, really like Rockstar Punched Sugar Free.
I always have multiple 12 packs of Zero sodas in the house. Coke Zero, Cherry Coke Zero, Dr Pepper Zero, Cherry Dr Pepper Zero, and Mt Dew Zero are the usuals.

Is it true cans vs bottles use different kinds of sugars and the taste is different? For some reason I prefer bottles over cans and I think it tastes better. Not sure if it's just me cuz I heard that rumor or if it's true. And stuff from cans kinda make my teeth

Since English is not our mama tongue, we don't mind using both soda or soft drink naming. Or any others if there's any once I hear it. But I usually call it soda. Non alcoholic soda, please.

Ya'll gotta know.... That Up here in Michigan..We all call it POP!

:Happy:
LOL. The first time I heard it called pop my family was visiting Cleveland, Ohio. My cousin's grandmother was being nice and asked my sister and I if we'd like a pop. I was about 8 or 9, and turned to my dad and said, "If she hits me I'm gonna hit her back."

LOL. The first time I heard it called pop my family was visiting Cleveland, Ohio. My cousin's grandmother was being nice and asked my sister and I if we'd like a pop. I was about 8 or 9, and turned to my dad and said, "If she hits me I'm gonna hit her back."
Did ya get any Vernors?
Back in the 60's we went on a school class trip to the Vernors bottling plant in Detroit. Back then they really did age it in oak barrels. It's not the same today as when I was a kid

Is it true cans vs bottles use different kinds of sugars and the taste is different? For some reason I prefer bottles over cans and I think it tastes better. Not sure if it's just me cuz I heard that rumor or if it's true. And stuff from cans kinda make my teeth

Since English is not our mama tongue, we don't mind using both soda or soft drink naming. Or any others if there's any once I hear it. But I usually call it soda. Non alcoholic soda, please.
It's going to differ between countries. Here a flavor is a flavor whether it's in a bottle or can and it'll be labeled if it has 0 sugar, cane sugar, or regular. Then here in Texas you have the difference between glass bottled Mexican Coke and any other Coke.
I personally find that canned soda holds carbonation better and bottles taste more "flat" even if new.

"Yeah, get me a Coke."
"What kind?"
"Dr. Pepper."

Calling all soda as Coke.. man, that really made me laugh out loud.

Ya'll gotta know.... That Up here in Michigan..We all call it POP!

:Happy:

It get's called pop in some parts of the UK too. Mostly people just say "can of [name of drink]". I've never really heard of anyone refer to it as soda though, the only place we use soda is when talking specifically about soda water.

Calling all soda as Coke.. man, that really made me laugh out loud.

It get's called pop in some parts of the UK too. Mostly people just say "can of [name of drink]". I've never really heard of anyone refer to it as soda though, the only place we use soda is when talking specifically about soda water.
I think it has everything to do with region and general availability of a specific drink over time. For instance Coke originated in Georgia so it makes sense a lot of people from that area call everything a 'Coke', and Coke was the first general soda widely available worldwide. Soda and pop or the combination was just terms that stuck around since the 1800s with just saying pop being slang for soda pop.

Back
Top Bottom