Potentially the longest thread in history...

Screenshot thing sounds like a DPI issue, which Windows has been famous for. When I do it on mine the little bar comes down and darkens the whole screen for selection. The rest, fixed by using explorerpatcher.

Also, Happy Father's Day to all the mother Fer's (literally) in here!

Yah figured as much too. I have two 4K screens running at different scaling settings. Still, apps like Share-X are fine with it, so Microsoft should be able to figure it out too.

Also have this annoying thing where I have two full screen windows split over either half, then I resize them by dragging the top bar down or bottom bar up, then I move the window, and it snaps back to full size again but in the position I moved it too. So I have to resize it again. Just lots of annoying things in my Windows 11 transition so far. Still better than MacOS window management so that's a plus.

Also have this annoying thing where I have two full screen windows split over either half, then I resize them by dragging the top bar down or bottom bar up, then I move the window, and it snaps back to full size again but in the position I moved it too. So I have to resize it again. Just lots of annoying things in my Windows 11 transition so far. Still better than MacOS window management so that's a plus.
I actually have that problem in W10 on my work laptop.

I actually have that problem in W10 on my work laptop.

I heard that many of the long time senior Windows engineers that wrote the kernel level stuff and were around in the 98 and XP era have left the company because they can get paid more elsewhere, so the Windows team team is a bunch of 20 and 30 somethings with no historical knowledge of how windows was plummed together at a technical level. Probably why Windows is a bit more of a mess recent years.

I heard that many of the long time senior Windows engineers that wrote the kernel level stuff and were around in the 98 and XP era have left the company because they can get paid more elsewhere, so the Windows team team is a bunch of 20 and 30 somethings with no historical knowledge of how windows was plummed together at a technical level. Probably why Windows is a bit more of a mess recent years.
Either that or they were booted out the door
In July 2014, Microsoft announced plans to lay off 18,000 employees. Microsoft employed 127,104 people as of June 5, 2014, making this about a 14 percent reduction of its workforce as the biggest Microsoft lay off ever. This included 12,500 professional and factory personnel. Previously, Microsoft had eliminated 5,800 jobs in 2009 in line with the Great Recession of 2008–2017.[192][193] In September 2014, Microsoft laid off 2,100 people, including 747 people in the Seattle–Redmond area, where the company is headquartered. The firings came as a second wave of the layoffs that were previously announced. This brought the total number to over 15,000 out of the 18,000 expected cuts.[194] In October 2014, Microsoft revealed that it was almost done with the elimination of 18,000 employees, which was its largest-ever layoff sweep.[195] In July 2015, Microsoft announced another 7,800 job cuts in the next several months.[196] In May 2016, Microsoft announced another 1,850 job cuts mostly in its Nokia mobile phone division. As a result, the company will record an impairment and restructuring charge of approximately $950 million, of which approximately $200 million will relate to severance payments.
I think Windows 10 came out around July 2015, because M$ decided to make you it's beta tester

I mess with 98, XP, and Vista on a regular basis. I can honestly say that using 10 and 11 are much better experience for everyday use. The small things we complain about are pretty nit picky compared to me installing a game and it crashing the whole computer.
Either that or they were booted out the door

I think Windows 10 came out around July 2015, because M$ decided to make you it's beta tester
We were already the beta tester for 2 years by official release. They just laid off the people not needed for pre-production development once it went gold. Since I'm local to Bethesda and ID I see this a lot in between game development cycles too.

I mess with 98, XP, and Vista on a regular basis. I can honestly say that using 10 and 11 are much better experience for everyday use. The small things we complain about are pretty nit picky compared to me installing a game and it crashing the whole computer.

We were already the beta tester for 2 years by official release. They just laid off the people not needed for pre-production development once it went gold. Since I'm local to Bethesda and ID I see this a lot in between game development cycles too.

True I guess, I remember XP and 98 just being unreliable in general. Atleast we don't have that anymore. But there are just too many of what I would consider minor problems that really shouldn't be all that hard to fix.

I reached peak laziness today, I have this issue with Autodesk Fusion 360 running at like 15 fps before I even do anything or open a file. Figured I would take advantage of having a boat load of RAM and just span up a Windows 11 VM in Hyper-V, assigned it half my RAM, and ran Fusion 360 off that. Runs much better. It must be conflicting with something else I have installed on my normal Win11 install, but I can not be bothered to invest the energy to find out.

True I guess, I remember XP and 98 just being unreliable in general. Atleast we don't have that anymore. But there are just too many of what I would consider minor problems that really shouldn't be all that hard to fix.

I reached peak laziness today, I have this issue with Autodesk Fusion 360 running at like 15 fps before I even do anything or open a file. Figured I would take advantage of having a boat load of RAM and just span up a Windows 11 VM in Hyper-V, assigned it half my RAM, and ran Fusion 360 off that. Runs much better. It must be conflicting with something else I have installed on my normal Win11 install, but I can not be bothered to invest the energy to find out.
The funny thing is, 98se and XP were made to be rather stable but the underground patching projects weren't really well known until after 2010 when retro became "cool". 98se in particular has a lot of things done to make it very nice to run old games. The guy doing XP Integral has gone so far that I can install it off a flash drive directly to my current system with NVMe, USB3, everything and even run a modern version of a Firefox fork. That includes all 32GB of RAM but I'd be limited to a Titan X Maxwell and I'd need to source an Audigy RX for sound (which is a modern card with official XP drivers for EAX). I have the latest version installed on a Q9550 overclocked with 8GB of DDR2, a PCI-E SSD, and one of my TItan X cards and it's really snappy with 0 crashes. It's honestly an awesome experience, and there's a project out there for Vista too.

Had some GPU artificating this morning on my desktop. Black rectangles all over my excel spreadsheet, some weird chroma artifacting in Chrome, and Event Viewer kept saying the Nvidia driver was crashing. Tbh I thought my GPU was dieing. Turned my PC off, reseated the GPU and power connectors, and now all good again which I was a bit surprise about, now im wondering if a loose connection could've really caused that artifacting.

Back
Top Bottom