Potentially the longest thread in history...

Do you not have a change board that goes through proposed changes to make sure they make sense and don't clash with one another ?

I generally don't like the formality of things like change boards and granular permissions.. my first IT job was at a smaller company with just me and one other engineer who were top level admin to every system and we were the only authority and decision makers on everything that happened. That was nice, I miss those days. Now I have very specific access to very specific things and if I need to integrate something I don't have access too, this is when I start having to email people to do their part. I get it and understand why it's like that, but oh man is it a slow process.
I have never been that crazy about text and email because it is way too easy to blow somebody off. If you can and this may be unusual to the younger peeps....But call them on a phone. If it is really important and they vm you then call back until you actually speak to who you need to. They can not blow you off at that point and it is much more personal. You may even get to know those others better. It is too impersonal via text and email!

I have never been that crazy about text and email because it is way too easy to blow somebody off. If you can and this may be unusual to the younger peeps....But call them on a phone. If it is really important and they vm you then call back until you actually speak to who you need to. They can not blow you off at that point and it is much more personal. You may even get to know those others better. It is too impersonal via text and email!
Nobody answers the phone in a corporate environment, I learned this a decade ago. That is why I tag supervisors or whole distros on the second try for anything important because it gets their attention faster. Email is also considered a proper chain of documentation or "paper trail".

New Z690-F BIOS came out a week or so ago and it says "Improved DRAM reliability".

An hour of playing around, XMP still doesn't even boot. Manaully adjusting the DRAM settings gets me no further than before, 4800mhz stable. Seems to be pretty common that people are having a bad time with 12th Gen Intel and DDR5. I don't really care to be honest about the extra 1fps that 5600mhz will get me so whatever, but it would be nice to just get what I paid for.

In other news, i've been playing around with GPT-3 and researching it and LAMDA by Google. That is some really cool tech. Excited to see how good it is in 5, 10 years.

New Z690-F BIOS came out a week or so ago and it says "Improved DRAM reliability".

An hour of playing around, XMP still doesn't even boot. Manaully adjusting the DRAM settings gets me no further than before, 4800mhz stable. Seems to be pretty common that people are having a bad time with 12th Gen Intel and DDR5. I don't really care to be honest about the extra 1fps that 5600mhz will get me so whatever, but it would be nice to just get what I paid for.

In other news, i've been playing around with GPT-3 and researching it and LAMDA by Google. That is some really cool tech. Excited to see how good it is in 5, 10 years.
Precisely why I went DDR4 instead.

My deicison to go DDR5 will pay off in two years when it finally works ?
I've had so far literally 0 issues with this build since day 1. Fired right up, took mem XMP, Windows 11 has been rather kind to me outside of one small issue, performance has been top notch with frametimes in the 1s. I almost don't know if I want to upgrade so soon to Raptor Lake.

I've had so far literally 0 issues with this build since day 1. Fired right up, took mem XMP, Windows 11 has been rather kind to me outside of one small issue, performance has been top notch with frametimes in the 1s. I almost don't know if I want to upgrade so soon to Raptor Lake.

Oh man don't get me started on Windows 11, so many bugs. if I press Windows + Shift + S I just get a small window to grab screenshots from that takes up about 1/3rd of the opper left hand corner of my main display and the top half of my secondary display. Everytime I turn my monitor off the autohide taskbar setting resets to off. I run an OLED TV so I turn it off every time I leave my desk for more than 2 minutes. The icons on the taskbar for my second screen are consistently fucked off, often just disappear etc.

I'm gonna be spending the next year or two paying off all my credit cards and crap, so no big purchases for me for a while. Well maybe I can squeeze in one big purchase if something super appealing appears, like an $600 RTX 4080 with 50% more raster perf than a 3080 and 2x RTX performance ?

Oh man don't get me started on Windows 11, so many bugs. if I press Windows + Shift + S I just get a small window to grab screenshots from that takes up about 1/3rd of the opper left hand corner of my main display and the top half of my secondary display. Everytime I turn my monitor off the autohide taskbar setting resets to off. I run an OLED TV so I turn it off every time I leave my desk for more than 2 minutes. The icons on the taskbar for my second screen are consistently fucked off, often just disappear etc.

I'm gonna be spending the next year or two paying off all my credit cards and crap, so no big purchases for me for a while. Well maybe I can squeeze in one big purchase if something super appealing appears, like an $600 RTX 4080 with 50% more raster perf than a 3080 and 2x RTX performance ?
Screenshot thing sounds like a DPI issue, which Windows has been famous for. When I do it on mine the little bar comes down and darkens the whole screen for selection. The rest, fixed by using explorerpatcher.

Also, Happy Father's Day to all the mother Fer's (literally) in here!

Back
Top Bottom