Potentially the longest thread in history...

It was a class action lawsuit for price fixing, if I remember correctly, and this was the settled amount per person after all was said and done. At least for the average person, cause like you, I think I bought at least 2 dozen drives during that time frame.

Here's some irony, if I had applied for that and got that money I'd be using it to buy another SATA based DVD burner lol. I can't find either of my IDE or SATA based optical drives.

Here's some irony, if I had applied for that and got that money I'd be using it to buy another SATA based DVD burner lol. I can't find either of my IDE or SATA based optical drives.

I have a SATA DVD burner if you want it. Pioneer brand circa 2014. (BDR-209DBK) It's been sitting in a tote for 4+ years.

I have a SATA DVD burner if you want it. Pioneer brand circa 2014. (BDR-209DBK) It's been sitting in a tote for 4+ years.
Sure if you want to send it. I know they're somewhere but I'm guessing in storage. Also heard USPS upped prices so might cost the same to just order one off Amazon. I need it for my 98 setup since I FINALLY managed to get myself a working Tualitin P3, board, and RAM combo.

PM me your adde and I'll send it along. It's just sitting here taking up space and I already have a USB burner and old ass floppy drive for that random WTF moment when I find something laying around. I'll probably get in the mail next week, when I get back home. I assume you have cables, cause it's bare drive only.

You know what grinds my gears at work ? people not replying to emails and you having to chase them. I know people are super busy and often get a lot of emails, but it just winds me up the wrong way. In the 10 years i've worked and sent emails, i've tried numerous strategies... long emails with all the detail so there is less back and forth and confusion, doesn't work. Short emails so people can read them quickly.. nope. Putting what you need on the first line of your email.. nope. At the end of the day some people just don't reply until you've chased them several times no matter what you do.

You know what grinds my gears at work ? people not replying to emails and you having to chase them. I know people are super busy and often get a lot of emails, but it just winds me up the wrong way. In the 10 years i've worked and sent emails, i've tried numerous strategies... long emails with all the detail so there is less back and forth and confusion, doesn't work. Short emails so people can read them quickly.. nope. Putting what you need on the first line of your email.. nope. At the end of the day some people just don't reply until you've chased them several times no matter what you do.
I don't deal with that shit. After the second try for communication if it's important I tag their supervisor or distro.

What grinds my gears lately is every damn day 50 million changes to different environments. Got 5 or 6 different teams spamming changes, then 4 different IT teams doing maintenance every day of the week breaking things every day. The CTO has already gotten pissed last month and halted everything for stability. Then soon as it's lifted boom everything broken again. It's bad enough every patch weekend, and the on call guy for the week gets screwed working from 2pm to 1am then getting a verification call at 4am only to stay up fixing shit.

I don't deal with that shit. After the second try for communication if it's important I tag their supervisor or distro.

What grinds my gears lately is every damn day 50 million changes to different environments. Got 5 or 6 different teams spamming changes, then 4 different IT teams doing maintenance every day of the week breaking things every day. The CTO has already gotten pissed last month and halted everything for stability. Then soon as it's lifted boom everything broken again. It's bad enough every patch weekend, and the on call guy for the week gets screwed working from 2pm to 1am then getting a verification call at 4am only to stay up fixing shit.
Do you not have a change board that goes through proposed changes to make sure they make sense and don't clash with one another ?

I generally don't like the formality of things like change boards and granular permissions.. my first IT job was at a smaller company with just me and one other engineer who were top level admin to every system and we were the only authority and decision makers on everything that happened. That was nice, I miss those days. Now I have very specific access to very specific things and if I need to integrate something I don't have access too, this is when I start having to email people to do their part. I get it and understand why it's like that, but oh man is it a slow process.

Back
Top Bottom