Potentially the longest thread in history...

Watching you guys talk is funny. The mentality is so different to europe. The idea that the government don't have a responsibility for the survival of its citizens in retirement would be considered absolutely wild over here :ROFLMAO:
I think it could be that us yanks like to think we should be more independent and personally, I feel the less government in my life....the better off I'll be. Let the govt do govt things like keep world peace and provide weapons to the Taliban and such things.

Sez the one who thinks that SS should be the only financial support in retirement that one needs to survive?
Apparently reading comprehension is hard when you slip into that SS age.
I never said that's what I thought, I said that's what they sold it as.

Watching you guys talk is funny. The mentality is so different to europe. The idea that the government don't have a responsibility for the survival of its citizens in retirement would be considered absolutely wild over here :ROFLMAO:
In all seriousness to be absolutely clear I stand on both sides of the fence.
On one side, I know for damn sure I need to set myself up now to not wind up being a strain later because the government is definitely not going to help. I know too many retired folks struggling out there. To me it and medicare is theft at the highest level off my checks along with federal taxation. Why? Because they take all that money from us yet we (as civs) get trickles downstream. None of it is used for what it's intended for, and to me that's bullshit.

On the other side, it was sold as a liveable income for retirement and if they actually used it as such I would be ok with it. But as is with most things the government is not your friend, not for you, and it is not what they claim it is. You get scraps out of the billions taken from the working class.

It should be wild, but it isn't because the US government isn't for it's people and most all of us know it.

I am also on the fence on this. Having been on ss for almost 30 years now I have been able to live ok. We have our home and pretty much everything we need and want. I have my man cave with Big screen tv with all kinds of players from Video to Blue-ray. My new computer My workshop with the tools needed for the layout and of course the train layout itself.Deb has her own workshop with a big screen tv and Blueray. We both have Dish and You-Tube with internet. We have plenty of food. We have been able to do pretty good. My Va benefits help with things like meds and other stuff like glasses and that goes for Deb as well. We can go camping and fishing as we want. We visit family as well. Yes it would be even easier with some extra funds but from most points of view We do pretty good. On the flip side My mother was on ssi and when she died she had over 10,000 bucks in the bank and paid her way along till she died. I have heard others say they can't make it with the amount they make from ssi. I don't really understand that. Yes more funds would be nice, but to as why they can't make it with ssi, I don't understand it There are a lot of folks on it and get by just fine. Just my two cents. off the soap box too!:dance:

I am also on the fence on this. Having been on ss for almost 30 years now I have been able to live ok. We have our home and pretty much everything we need and want. I have my man cave with Big screen tv with all kinds of players from Video to Blue-ray. My new computer My workshop with the tools needed for the layout and of course the train layout itself.Deb has her own workshop with a big screen tv and Blueray. We both have Dish and You-Tube with internet. We have plenty of food. We have been able to do pretty good. My Va benefits help with things like meds and other stuff like glasses and that goes for Deb as well. We can go camping and fishing as we want. We visit family as well. Yes it would be even easier with some extra funds but from most points of view We do pretty good. On the flip side My mother was on ssi and when she died she had over 10,000 bucks in the bank and paid her way along till she died. I have heard others say they can't make it with the amount they make from ssi. I don't really understand that. Yes more funds would be nice, but to as why they can't make it with ssi, I don't understand it There are a lot of folks on it and get by just fine. Just my two cents. off the soap box too!:dance:
Your really living on two SS incomes. If you only just had your SS and not your wife's how would you fair with only one income?

Going to take a minute to rant here about a situation that's current for my family.

Missus was told last month about getting her big promotion, which I figured was just them trying to keep her in the company as she hinted towards possibly making a permanent leave after our child is born (she's taking 2 months off for bonding and recovery, let it slip she might stay gone and move forward). Outside of a few other reasons (regarding the company), this news, a high risk pregnancy at the time, and a small vehicular accident (with her having a hospital stay) I decided to resign from the last job I got. One reason being, trying to concentrate on building my own company as I am much happier doing this than working a regular 9-5 dayjob. I figure if I reach my goal of sustaining enough business to pay all my bills I'm doing pretty ok (IMO).

Over the weekend she is part of a multi-corp large meeting with her boss, to which conversation lead her to believe she all of a sudden wasn't getting this promotion anymore. So during the week she pressed the subject, to which she was presented with basically "we're announcing your promotion next Monday and want your asking salary in writing by Friday"...."I (her boss/CEO) would also like your spouse to send me his resume again as I have somebody that would love to put him somewhere". This followed her telling them she wants enough money to support us while I work on my business and stay at home to take care of the kids (Stay at home dad, but also still bringing in money). To me, it sounded like if we can find him something then we don't have to pay you a higher salary. Does that not sound like that? Going average salary for that position is 80k in the state, and since she doesn't have previous experience I told her shoot high but for the middle at 60k. It's fair for her qualifications, a decent bump for her, and in between the state average and her current salary while keeping it lower for their own company budgeting. I get the feeling this will not happen and she's going to be rather disappointed.

Following up with her boss's request, I sent my resume to her again to get a reply with "check our business portal and send req #s you want to apply for" which is nothing more than what any other basic recruiter would ask for. I also had a call from another recruiter that found me off Indeed that wanted to try and tell me I was only qualified for a position they had at 20 an hour. As of right now, I'm in the process of solidifying a month to month contract with another company at a rate of 2400 a month. I told this man on the phone let's sit in my shoes for a minute. My resume has a job on it where I was making a hair away from 6 digits, another position making 22 an hour while waiting for my management position before COVID hit, and topped by a 55k position at an MSP where they openly paid SAs level 2 money for level 3 work. I'm in the process of grabbing a contract at 2400 a month which is a couple hundred shy of 22 an hour NET for my own company where I'm my own boss, and I make that cash for 5 days worth of work which is realistically about 24 hours total of work. All while having the time and availability to grab more work to make more money, not be strangled by corporate policy, not potentially get fired because I vaped off cam in a Zoom meeting (happened to a previous coworker sitting in his own home), time to spend with my kids and wife, set my own time off, and not have to talk like I have a stick up my ass with these specific people. This contract is all encompassing of my total IT services, while also providing business consultation, accounting/finance supervision and revamping, as well as general project management for a field I'm NOT experienced in (construction). But I'm only qualified for a 20/h position to YOUR company. Ok. Rude and arrogant, yes, but I am absolutely fucking sick of how most companies treat IT employees these days. As posted, I saw not long ago an Indeed post wanting to offer 10-11 an hour for an SA. That's downright insulting. Sure this isn't all encompassing of all companies hiring for IT, but you'd figure with an overall "labor shortage" at least they would want to pay their IT people a little more or stop overlooking overqualified people for fear "they might leave later". Sorry, most of us won't leave unless the job is shit for the pay. An overqualified IT person IMO is just more efficient at his/her job which makes it easier and quantifies a lower pay scale as long as it isn't insulting like 10-11 an hour.

Your really living on two SS incomes. If you only just had your SS and not your wife's how would you fair with only one income?
We could live on mine alone. It would Make it harder but we could do it. My income will pay the bills like cable internet. Dish and Phones along with rent. Debs will give us better foods for what the food stamps give us. The Va gives us our meds and doctors in and outside the va itself. Our glasses, my Oxygen all the supplys for it, and anything else that is along those lines and we have another plan that helps to cover those and Dental as well. It also covers a "up to" amount for over the counter drugs and supplys. I would say thats pretty good. My va also has auto insurance and home costs in that plan too AARP does that for us. We can go camping and fishing here local and around the area. I built the train layout, and Deb her hobbies as well. I made good money as a mechanic and Deb worked in the Hospital system in Maine. She made good pay but not as good as mine. If they do make this new amount law, We can do more things that that like visiting family once a year maybe. Its been two years since we did that. I guess that gives you an idea of the "What ifs".

Back
Top Bottom