Potentially the longest thread in history...

Im all for saving but what annoys me is when people get real judgemental about what you spend your money on. Everyone has different priorities and things they are will to spend money on and things they save money on. Me personally I don't really care about clothes or vacations so I spend very little on that. I easily spend under $250 a year on clothes. I own one pair of walking boots and one pair of day to day shoes and that's it. I couldn't really care less about travelling or going on vacation so I hardly ever do it. I go to france skiing/snowboarding once every 3 years or so which costs me about $700. But I spend a lot on my PC and anything related to that. Monitors etc. Just annoys me a bit, i've had people balk at the fact I bought a 3080 and then 10 seconds later told me how they had this awesome two week vacation in NYC that cost them $10k.

I spent a lot this past year but saved quite a lot too. Been using an automatic investment app and put down $8000 in the past 12 months. Conidering the fact I bought a PS5, 3080 and OLED TV this year im pretty happy with that. With my new job I should be able to put down closer to $15000 a year.
Yea but your mindset is also quite different from those I'm speaking about. These people work 10/h or below and think they need 1200 dollar eye glasses because it has a name. That'd be fine BUT they also whine about how they can only afford a 600/m apartment on 2 salaries. When they comes over to our place and gawk at what we have I simply tell them 8 years ago I used to work at Waffle House as a second job. I put my priorities in better spots.

My spouse's cousin complained her job was moving to business casual then she quit. 2 messages later she complained about how she wished she'd find a job making 20/h or above. I simply replied "one or the other". Out of 12 family members in that group only my spouse understood what I meant without explaining.
yea... back then you could get a nice used car for $200.
Back then you could buy a new car for 3000 lol.
Just found out the 11900k doesn't have the hexagon box :( that was the best thing about the 10900k...
Probably a good thing it doesn't have a flashy box, as those early benchmarks made it slower than the 10900k.

LOL.... I have not seen a gas station that offered to pump the gas in your car in decades!
Them days are way long gone. Now it is possibly good for some kinda unknown pizza substance and a warm beer

Yea but your mindset is also quite different from those I'm speaking about. These people work 10/h or below and think they need 1200 dollar eye glasses because it has a name. That'd be fine BUT they also whine about how they can only afford a 600/m apartment on 2 salaries. When they comes over to our place and gawk at what we have I simply tell them 8 years ago I used to work at Waffle House as a second job. I put my priorities in better spots.

My spouse's cousin complained her job was moving to business casual then she quit. 2 messages later she complained about how she wished she'd find a job making 20/h or above. I simply replied "one or the other". Out of 12 family members in that group only my spouse understood what I meant without explaining.

Back then you could buy a new car for 3000 lol.

Probably a good thing it doesn't have a flashy box, as those early benchmarks made it slower than the 10900k.

Yeah true. I never really understood the luxury clothes thing. I mean I understand people wanting to look nice, but there is really diminishing returns in cut and finish past a certain price point (ignoring tailored suits etc). Most people are buying for the brand and label I guess. Each to their own, but atleast I feel like when I buy something expensive, it's expensive because it's legitimately better and is an expensive product to make. These $300 t-shirts feel and look the same as $30 t-shirts, and if there is any difference it definite;y isn't worth 10x the price. I guess if I was going out a lot to nice restaurants or social events i'd spend a bit more...

The worst thing is all the BS beauty industry products. My sister earns a lot of money so she can do what she wants, but she buys the most outraegous things that are complete BS. She bought some rubber pad thing that you rub on your face to "make you look younger" - ofcourse it doesn't work at all but it didn't stop her spending like $100 on it. And she has dozens of these fake marketing beauty products. I reckon she spends $2000+ a year on products that literally do not work at all.

Yeah true. I never really understood the luxury clothes thing. I mean I understand people wanting to look nice, but there is really diminishing returns in cut and finish past a certain price point (ignoring tailored suits etc). Most people are buying for the brand and label I guess. Each to their own, but atleast I feel like when I buy something expensive, it's expensive because it's legitimately better and is an expensive product to make. These $300 t-shirts feel and look the same as $30 t-shirts, and if there is any difference it definite;y isn't worth 10x the price. I guess if I was going out a lot to nice restaurants or social events i'd spend a bit more...

The worst thing is all the BS beauty industry products. My sister earns a lot of money so she can do what she wants, but she buys the most outraegous things that are complete BS. She bought some rubber pad thing that you rub on your face to "make you look younger" - ofcourse it doesn't work at all but it didn't stop her spending like $100 on it. And she has dozens of these fake marketing beauty products. I reckon she spends $2000+ a year on products that literally do not work at all.
I'm with you there, but these were literally fucking glasses lol. Her mom was like yea, mine look the same and cost me 30 bucks. She was indeed right, besides like a design queue on the ear piece and the name the frames looked identical but the cousin was like "but these are Prada mom, you're too old to understand". The mom said "I'm old enough to understand it doesn't matter and these were only 30 bucks". We had to walk inside to laugh. When I went back outside after I stopped laughing I said no she's right, bit pointless because if you break them you're out 1200 bucks and that's 2 months of your rent. The cousin looked at me and was like well I bet you have some expensive gamer glasses! My response was no, those blue light canceling glasses are gimmicks and look stupid, I also don't wear glasses. The most I've spent on sunglasses is 60 bucks. One was a pair of Marc Jacobs to go with my suit, and the other was a pair of Shadetree, both 10x less than yours. It's definitely interesting to watch people try to justify dumb purchases simply over a name.

back then $3000. was a lot of money.
I worked at a gas station pumping gas for $1.00 an hour (still in high school)
My 2nd job while in High School was pumping gas at a Chevron station for $1.75/hr. The boss sent me to a week long class to learn how to upsell things like fan belts, tires, oil changes, etc... After attending that class, I got a raise to $2/hr plus a 10% commission on whatever I sold. That was in 1971, things were cheaper then but wages were lower as well.

I've never been into fashion, brand names or expensive clothes and fashion accessories. I bought used cars and drove them for years until they fell apart while I watched friends buy or lease new cars every few years. I did my own oil changes and other maintenance and repairs. I did my own yardwork, upkeep and remodeling projects on my house. We had 4 kids so paying for daycare would have been killer so my wife and I worked different shifts (I worked 1st shift, she worked 2nd) so that one of us was always home with the kids.

When I attended college, I worked full time days and went to school at night. I paid for all my books and tuition at the start of each semester so never had any student loans to pay off after graduation.

We had one extravagance, we owned a 30 ft travel trailer. Have you ever heard the saying that a boat is just a hole in the water that you throw money in to? Well an RV is just a hole in the ground that you throw money in to. We took trips with that RV at least 1 weekend per month, all year round. We camped in the woods, the beach, the desert, RV campgrounds, etc...

I'm with you there, but these were literally fucking glasses lol. Her mom was like yea, mine look the same and cost me 30 bucks. She was indeed right, besides like a design queue on the ear piece and the name the frames looked identical but the cousin was like "but these are Prada mom, you're too old to understand". The mom said "I'm old enough to understand it doesn't matter and these were only 30 bucks". We had to walk inside to laugh. When I went back outside after I stopped laughing I said no she's right, bit pointless because if you break them you're out 1200 bucks and that's 2 months of your rent. The cousin looked at me and was like well I bet you have some expensive gamer glasses! My response was no, those blue light canceling glasses are gimmicks and look stupid, I also don't wear glasses. The most I've spent on sunglasses is 60 bucks. One was a pair of Marc Jacobs to go with my suit, and the other was a pair of Shadetree, both 10x less than yours. It's definitely interesting to watch people try to justify dumb purchases simply over a name.
Kinda like buying a mac... no?

Back
Top Bottom