Potentially the longest thread in history...

Its just weird hiw Fort Worth could have that kind ice and we didn't even get any moistire here in Wichita Falls. You watch. Everyone will get this winter mix and other than the cold nothing. They have called for ice and we got little to nothing. Now, over the weekend they are calling for a foot of snow. Maybe some fluries?
We didn't get a whole lot, was just random patches of black ice. Left over moisture that froze from the real cold temps on bridges.

I know how black ice is. Maine is famous for it. We have a 3 way interchange with I44 and two state highways. One is over 150 feet high! Why that high i cannot figure out. It didn't need to be. It was clear today. No ice at all. Go figure. I still question this snow storm heading our way. Guess we will see.

I'm well gutted. Had a system memory failure on one of my desktops a few days ago. So today I've been testing the memory in the desktop system and when I've checked out of all the memory I had going unused only three DIMM modules out of 12 were working. I've set my desktop system up. Its only running on DDR2 6400 but the main thing is, its stable or seems to be that way for the time being. I'm going to run memtest to be sure but just had to throw away 9 individual modules . :'( . I genuinly might have to go to the likes of Amazon for some replacement DIMMs for back up in case I need such a thing.

Another thing as well, I opened up my tower HP server and their is an unreal amount of storage capability what I can use. Running a 750W PSU. The only thing I'm gutted about is no PCIe . Genuinly gutted about that because I have a 750Ti going spair and I dont have the systems to use it as the two desktops I'm running Linux on are slimline . :'( . I was sorting threw some of my stuff and I have 5 graphics cards, a NIC, and a sound card along with 11 hard drives going unused . :'( .. If I install them in the HP server, knowing me I'll fu** the thing up. I just know something will go wrong. I've even got a matching paid of WD Caviar Blue 640Gbs . Talk about a guttner .

They changed us from 3, to 2, to 1, and now 0f for a low on Monday. Make it -1 and I can scratch a negative temp off my list.
It was 3 degrees here this morning. Now in the upper teens. Still calling for 6-10 inches of the white stuff and ice. This is supposed to last into Tuesday. I would say, Stay inside and stay safe. I have battery backups for my computer. We live one block from the electric company and about three blocks from the main power grid station. A bit hard to loose electric here. In the three years i have lived here, only one bad storm caused a outage. About 20 minutes. Later all

I'm well gutted. Had a system memory failure on one of my desktops a few days ago. So today I've been testing the memory in the desktop system and when I've checked out of all the memory I had going unused only three DIMM modules out of 12 were working. I've set my desktop system up. Its only running on DDR2 6400 but the main thing is, its stable or seems to be that way for the time being. I'm going to run memtest to be sure but just had to throw away 9 individual modules . :'( . I genuinly might have to go to the likes of Amazon for some replacement DIMMs for back up in case I need such a thing.

Another thing as well, I opened up my tower HP server and their is an unreal amount of storage capability what I can use. Running a 750W PSU. The only thing I'm gutted about is no PCIe . Genuinly gutted about that because I have a 750Ti going spair and I dont have the systems to use it as the two desktops I'm running Linux on are slimline . :'( . I was sorting threw some of my stuff and I have 5 graphics cards, a NIC, and a sound card along with 11 hard drives going unused . :'( .. If I install them in the HP server, knowing me I'll fu** the thing up. I just know something will go wrong. I've even got a matching paid of WD Caviar Blue 640Gbs . Talk about a guttner .
DDR and DDR2 are the real finicky ones. I've had 2 sticks that were sitting in a board fail on me.
It was 3 degrees here this morning. Now in the upper teens. Still calling for 6-10 inches of the white stuff and ice. This is supposed to last into Tuesday. I would say, Stay inside and stay safe. I have battery backups for my computer. We live one block from the electric company and about three blocks from the main power grid station. A bit hard to loose electric here. In the three years i have lived here, only one bad storm caused a outage. About 20 minutes. Later all
They're calling 3-5" here but I'll believe it when I see it. They've changed the forecast 50 million times in the past 2 days I believe they have no idea wtf is going on.

I've ran memtest on my slimline system, on the modules I have replaced with working ones and I got no errors back. I let it run threw a couple of times just to be sure . I've checked on Amazon.co.uk and for say £16 too £20 I can get matching pairs of DDR2 6400 at 2Gib modules totaling 4Gib . I was really surprised at the price being older tech. I honestly thought it would have been a lot more due to supply and demand issues . I'm not sure if they still produce it any more !

The system I have just got up and running I'm going to use it as a test box of sorts for Linux. I've been looking at distrowatch and I'm curious to spread my wings on my understanding of Linux . I've just downloaded Ubuntu desktop 20.04.2 so I'll see how that differs to Mint . Ubuntu being based on Deabian were as Mint is based on Ubuntu .

(y)

DDR and DDR2 are the real finicky ones. I've had 2 sticks that were sitting in a board fail on me.

They're calling 3-5" here but I'll believe it when I see it. They've changed the forecast 50 million times in the past 2 days I believe they have no idea wtf is going on.
Yep, Guess we will have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom