Potentially the longest thread in history...

I installed a USB camera at the start of the pandemic in order to do Zoom meetings and such. If I was paranoid, I'd unplug the camera when not in use. I'm not, so I don't.

For a while I had a Logitech webcam AND my DSLR at the same time. I gave the webcam to my fiance though so she can do her meetings with a better camera. I only keep the dustcap on the camera to keep dust off the lens, otherwise I wouldn't. The odds of it happening with what I do is very very slim.

If you have a laptop you should be able to disable it through the settings, or if you have a desktop, then just unplug the usb and only use it when you need it. I don't use a cam for my desktop and only use my laptop once a week for zoom meetings. The laptop is off and in it's case when I'm not using it.

I was just more curious more than anything else as when I posted that question, it came completely random and out of no were. I was thinking more along the line of I have no experience with Visual equipment being as such web cams ect.

Also in other news, I've been doing a lot looking up on whats available today in the tech world of being the likes of the PC , full pre built systems and checking the price of components etc and man it seems to be more expensive than ever. Either that or my memory is seriously failing me because looking at Amazon, for a pre built dell system or HP say £100, you can get the likes of an i5 8Gig of DDR3 RAM 128GB SSD WiFi Adapter, genuine Windows pre installed and 12 months RTB Warranty. Now I completely understand this is a refurbished system but considering I don't play games, say even a low end 128Gib SSD with 8Gig DDR3 on a Linux System would be reasonably quick and well speced for say Mint. Doing a lot of learning and research, breaking things and fixing things their seems to be some pretty good half decent spec machines for that price.

Looking at the individual components, theirs no way I could afford to build even say a mid range gaming machine. Is it just me or have things become more expenvice over the last two too three years I've been relatively idol in the PC World.

:D

yup....blame it on Covid and tariffs, along with a pinch of greed
I could get a decent 500W power supply on sale for $40 to $35 in 2019.....That same power supply today will cost over $60.

Guys, how many people on here have a Web Cam with their set-up . Is it just me who refuses to entertain the idea of one for privacy and security concerns. I'm not gonna lie I've been doing some reading and I recently read, "Its like the wild west out their for hackers." Is it just me whos paranoid about the subject.
I am, but in my new job I'm in multiple meetings a day and have a good webcam for it, so I make use of it for Discord too.

I am, but in my new job I'm in multiple meetings a day and have a good webcam for it, so I make use of it for Discord too.

Yami gets it.

@Joe C , here in the UK, Covid has killed over 100.000 people and we have tens of thousands of people infected. Our Government whos in power at the minute is supposed to be in billions of debt with covering the cost of peoples finances people working from home and over all on the financial front the Government keeping the country afloat during the pandemic. Their are predictions that we are looking at up too and including a further 50.000 deaths here in GB. A while ago I remember a conversation between PP and Kman, I cant remember the specifics but I remember Kman saying and I quote "We have such a dense population." I would have to go back on the thread and look for it but here in GB their is over 60 + Million people on our small island. Small island compared to say the size of Russia or the United States.

I take notice of what goes on around me, to the point I seriously question things. Yami, Kman being from England will know what I'm talking about and its everyday you see people taking their dogs out, going for walks, going to the local paper shops for none essentials. The papers today are headlining the scale of what our police are having to deal with. Thousands of fines just in my local area of the north of England. Parties , raves, group gatherings, and in general, people who just don't care.

Our NHS is so overwhelmed the staff are supposed to be exhausted and running on empty according to one news site I read a few weeks ago. They are at full capacity.

Put it one way Joe, the situation is bad and that's putting politely.

Yami gets it.

@Joe C , here in the UK, Covid has killed over 100.000 people and we have tens of thousands of people infected. Our Government whos in power at the minute is supposed to be in billions of debt with covering the cost of peoples finances people working from home and over all on the financial front the Government keeping the country afloat during the pandemic. Their are predictions that we are looking at up too and including a further 50.000 deaths here in GB. A while ago I remember a conversation between PP and Kman, I cant remember the specifics but I remember Kman saying and I quote "We have such a dense population." I would have to go back on the thread and look for it but here in GB their is over 60 + Million people on our small island. Small island compared to say the size of Russia or the United States.

I take notice of what goes on around me, to the point I seriously question things. Yami, Kman being from England will know what I'm talking about and its everyday you see people taking their dogs out, going for walks, going to the local paper shops for none essentials. The papers today are headlining the scale of what our police are having to deal with. Thousands of fines just in my local area of the north of England. Parties , raves, group gatherings, and in general, people who just don't care.

Our NHS is so overwhelmed the staff are supposed to be exhausted and running on empty according to one news site I read a few weeks ago. They are at full capacity.

Put it one way Joe, the situation is bad and that's putting politely.
DFW has 6.3 million people in what's essentially a 35 mile span, so yea I get it. Problem is, there are too many questionables when it comes to this that most people aren't taking it seriously with that alone. Tbh, I'm not sure how that has anything to do with webcam paranoia though.

No no, the post about covid had nothing to do with web cam paranoia.

I should of been more clear. I was expanding on what Joe was saying about Covid from what I just know and see here in the UK, the papers, news ect . What I was saying is coming from a privacy perspective Yami gets it working in the field of tech security. That had nothing to do with the Covid thing .

I agree with you, their are too many unknowns. When I was watching the news, they were saying the UK is the hardest hit country in Europe .

I should of been more clear about that . Apologizes .

Last edited:
No no, the post about covid had nothing to do with web cam paranoia.

I should of been more clear. I was expanding on what Joe was saying about Covid from what I just know and see here in the UK, the papers, news ect . What I was saying is coming from a privacy perspective Yami gets it working in the field of tech security. That had nothing to do with the Covid thing .

I agree with you, their are too many unknowns. When I was watching the news, they were saying the UK is the hardest hit country in Europe .

I should of been more clear about that . Apologizes .
Nah you're good, no need to apologize. Was just a swish of topics.

We went to Olive Garden last night and had paper menus. It's amazing how quickly it started disappearing here after Biden was put in office.

Back
Top Bottom