Potentially the longest thread in history...

For what, miners? Is there any native ARM programs that will scale that high?

The most useless pieces of crap ever are netbooks, Chromebooks, and cheap laptops powered by low power dual core APUs.
All the Apple apps are ofcourse ARM native. So things like Final Cut Pro will take advantage I would assume. Adobe apps are going to start supporting Arm beginning of next year, but no idea how well they will scale. It’s going to be niche for sure, but I suspect the support will be there for certain use cases. I cant imagine they will release a 32 core system unless they can show it’s value, but who knows.

Oh, I forgot to mention, apparently the neural processing cores are really good for accelerating machine learning workflows. So if you work in that albeit very niche field...

5xyfmTq.png

edit:

So apparently the ML Compute just uses the CPU and GPU and not the neural cores /shrug. Faster than a Intel + Discete GPU MBP either way.

Last edited:
All the Apple apps are ofcourse ARM native. So things like Final Cut Pro will take advantage I would assume. Adobe apps are going to start supporting Arm beginning of next year, but no idea how well they will scale. It’s going to be niche for sure, but I suspect the support will be there for certain use cases. I cant imagine they will release a 32 core system unless they can show it’s value, but who knows.

Oh, I forgot to mention, apparently the neural processing cores are really good for accelerating machine learning workflows. So if you work in that albeit very niche field...

5xyfmTq.png
From what I'm to understand all current stuff is being resolved via Rosetta 2. I do know that Adobe does not scale well past 8 cores (16 threads).

From what I'm to understand all current stuff is being resolved via Rosetta 2. I do know that Adobe does not scale well past 8 cores (16 threads).
All the Apple stuff is native ARM. But some 3rd party apps are already native too, like World of Warcraft, Baldurs Gate, Chrome. You can run Activity Monitor and it has a new column to tell you whether the app is built for Intel or Apple Silicon. See the "Architecture" column. Steam is still Intel. All the Apple apps + Chrome are Apple silicon/ ARM built.Screenshot 2020-12-07 at 23.26.34.png

The M1 MBA is great. It's fanless, and therefor silent - and it runs cool. It wakes instantly. The SSD is very fast and the integrated 8GB RAM on the SoC for the base model honestly makes it feel better than any 8GB RAM Windows machine i've ran. I've had multiple 4K videos playing on YouTube, edited photos, had Apple Maps open, Discord, Steam, 15+ other tabs, Apple Music playing, Xcode open. It handles it all no problem. It's not a gaming machine, but you can still play games on it. I had no problem hitting 30 fps in 1440x900 (high settings thouhg) in Cities Skylines, CIV6, Wargame and WoW. There are some bugs on MacOS Big Sur, i've had it just reboot once randomly and also had a black screen and just a cursor when I opened the lid one time. That's with about 6 hours usage a day. So it's less reliable than my Win 10 PC. But I guess that is to be expected with an Arm transition and still 2/3rds of my apps running through Rosetta. Web browsing is quite ridiculous on it as well to be honest. The M1 has better single threaded score than my 2700X on my PC and Safari has a better javascript engine than Chrome, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised. But there is just something funny about watching a 10W SoC fanless laptop load webpages quicker than my ethernet hardwired gaming PC. We're talking fractions of a second, but it's still there.
Very nice! Of the reviews I've watched I've been quite impressed, and your impressions seem to match. I wouldn't mind one if it didn't run macOS :p

Very nice! Of the reviews I've watched I've been quite impressed, and your impressions seem to match. I wouldn't mind one if it didn't run macOS :p
I prefer Windows for it's... windows management. But MacOS is fine, Big Sur is an improvement. There are somethings I find genuinely better, like Spotlight. It's unbelievablely better than Windows search and way more useful. But I still get annoyed I can't window snap by dragging them to the side of the screen. There are some other nice things like holding space to preview files etc. For what I use it for it's really really great. Web browsing, Netflix and Discord basically. And the power is there if I decide to edit some photos or videos on the odd occasion, or fire up a lightweight game. And it's really nice to have a genuinely good value Apple product for once. You can spend 50% more on a Dell XPS 13" and end up with a slower machine with fan noise.

How is life with you anyway?, not spoke in ages. Job still good etc ?

Apple products are good providing you have enough $$$$ Because Apple is very proprietary in everything they have. My Mrs. likes her iPad very much but it is getting dated so I'm looking at getting her a new updated one for Christmas

I prefer Windows for it's... windows management. But MacOS is fine, Big Sur is an improvement. There are somethings I find genuinely better, like Spotlight. It's unbelievablely better than Windows search and way more useful. But I still get annoyed I can't window snap by dragging them to the side of the screen. There are some other nice things like holding space to preview files etc. For what I use it for it's really really great. Web browsing, Netflix and Discord basically. And the power is there if I decide to edit some photos or videos on the odd occasion, or fire up a lightweight game. And it's really nice to have a genuinely good value Apple product for once. You can spend 50% more on a Dell XPS 13" and end up with a slower machine with fan noise.

How is life with you anyway?, not spoke in ages. Job still good etc ?
Exactly what I want one for, and Facetime/iMessage. Get all internet junk off my gaming machine for good.
Apple products are good providing you have enough $$$$ Because Apple is very proprietary in everything they have. My Mrs. likes her iPad very much but it is getting dated so I'm looking at getting her a new updated one for Christmas
I quite enjoyed using the company iPad Pro. Way more convenient with my keyboard/case thing while gaming on the couch than my phone.

iPad Pro is slick. Bought one for my mom a couple years ago. Wish they would hurry up and bring the 120hz screen to iPhone. Apparently they were going to do it this year, but between 120hz and 5G in it's infancy, the impact on battery was too big, so they favoured 5G over 120hz. Honestly I don't get it. Okay great you have gigabit internet on your phone with 5G. And what? What exactly are you doing with it ? streaming 1080p on Netflix ? well that worked on 4G and even 3G so... idk. I can see it being useful if you are someone that tethers a lot, or some kind of ultra power user that for some strange reason does huge downloads on their smartphone. I'd have picked 120hz over 5G for the iPhone 12 every day of the week.

iPad Pro is slick. Bought one for my mom a couple years ago. Wish they would hurry up and bring the 120hz screen to iPhone. Apparently they were going to do it this year, but between 120hz and 5G in it's infancy, the impact on battery was too big, so they favoured 5G over 120hz. Honestly I don't get it. Okay great you have gigabit internet on your phone with 5G. And what? What exactly are you doing with it ? streaming 1080p on Netflix ? well that worked on 4G and even 3G so... idk. I can see it being useful if you are someone that tethers a lot, or some kind of ultra power user that for some strange reason does huge downloads on their smartphone. I'd have picked 120hz over 5G for the iPhone 12 every day of the week.
Well this one I had was first gen pro and I had a first gen Apple pencil to go with it. Once iPadOS hit with better mouse support I used it more, but still not good enough to completely move over as an internet machine.

Back
Top Bottom