Potentially the longest thread in history...

Out in Arizona, they use something called "swamp coolers"that because of the low huminity it uses water that is allowed to drip down a straw mat on all four corners and a big fan. The water is so cold it feels colder than what an a/c can cool. Never saw one till i went to the southwest. I wonder if they had something like that back then?

Last edited:
yes... "swamp coolers" do work....but only in places with low humidity. Your body cools itself by evaporating moisture (sweat) and in a very dry place like the dessert. Adding moisture to the air aids your body in evaporating this moisture thus making you "feel" cooler (the actual sceince behind this is, evaporation absorbs heat, and removes it from your body). But.... this really sux in areas with high humdity, because your only going to "feel" wetter because your body can not evaporate this extra moisture and your only dripping wet and feeling miserable. Like the south east U.S., Michigan gets very humid also, because we are in a gigantic swamp

Last edited:
Yep, thats when they invented a/c. Up in Maine when i lived there.. All you needed was a box fan in the window. The tide would come in and along with it the colder air from the water off shore. Felt like the coldest a/c you could ever have!! The atlantic ocean current there is out of the north and runs on avg. of something like 40c or something close. I wish i never left Maine.....

Out in Arizona, they use something called "swamp coolers"that because of the low huminity it uses water that is allowed to drip down a straw mat on all four corners and a big fan. The water is so cold it feels colder than what an a/c can cool. Never saw one till i went to the southwest. I wonder if they had something like that back then?
I have heard of swamp coolers... we don't need them down here in Canada because our igloos have built in A/C

I never seen a swamp cooler on a rv that ever worked right. Now houses are another story. They work good it they are taken care of. We used to take off the old pads and replace with the new ones and used the old ones outside in the garage. kept us cool even under the vehicles.

As has been said, swamp coolers can help you feel cooler but they are sure no replacement for AC.
This is very true, but an A/C unit still operates on the same principle.... The refrigerant runs through a coil (in the inside of your house) that absorbs the heat from your home through evaporation, It boils (inside a coil) at a much lower temp so it can be more efficient at absorbing the heat in your home, it then transfers this absorbed heat and moves it to the outside unit where a compressor and cooling fan are located to remove the absorbed to the outside and condenses the refrigerant into a liquid to be "boiled off" again once it get to the coil inside your home to absorb more heat. Back in the yesterday before global warming they used R22 and the boiling point of that was -22f. Today they use R134A but I can not recall the boiling point of R134A off the top of my head.

Edit: I googled it and 134A boils at -15.34f, not as efficient but they say it is better for the ozone

Back
Top Bottom