Potentially the longest thread in history...

Rather frustrated with people in general. While in Birmingham yesterday my manager mentioned the parts I am trying to sell. My lead was there and asked me about them. We talked a while and I worked up deal for him as his daughter was in need of a decent gaming computer. So for 350 I was selling him:
* Ryzen 5 1600
* MSI B350 Gaming Plus mobo
* AMD Wraith Max RGB cooler
* Patriot 2x4GB DDR4 3000MHz
* XFX RX570 4GB graphics card
* 512GB SSD
* Antec 650W PSU
Today he and I ended up in roughly the same area so we met up and I gave him the parts and he would be sending me the money when we get paid. No problem.

A couple of hours after I get home he texts me and says that his daughter has changed her mind and wants a 3D printer instead. He will be shipping me my parts tomorrow.

Honestly, it blows my mind that I cut someone that kind of deal... Oh well. I am going to order a case and put it all together and sell it as a complete system.

It's been a hell of a week with every single customer trying to deploy new VPN and MFA solutions, or with previous VPN and MFA solutions falling over because they were sized for a user base a tenth of what they need now.

We're making money hand over fist but it's buuuusy on the support desk.

In other news, I necro'd the Techist Discord server. Folks should talk on there :)

Who would have thought that it would be so freaking difficult to find and download the ISO for MS Office 2016 Home and Student Retail? I recently wiped and reinstalled Win10 and hadn't got around to putting it back on. It would have been easier to just go with 365 but I bought 2016 and i prefer a non-subscription solution. But MS sure the hell doesn't make it easy and I ended up DLing it from another source.

In other news just trying to stay healthy. My job involves interaction with the public daily, and my territory is Atlanta, Georgia... where the vast majority of Covid-19 cases are in the state. Something has hold of me but I don't have a cough, just a low grade persistent fever, overall achiness, fatigue, some sporadic breathing issues (but I am asthmatic so, yeah). Took yesterday off as I had no pressing calls to run but I have one for tomorrow. Not sure whether it is going to happen or not.

I am in a similar boat, figure it's my smoking and allergies, but not risking anything, staying away from older family members, and skipping work for the rest of the month, and next month if they extend the allowed leave time.

It looks like my GFX card is just not going to play well with any vertical mount and cable. Bummer. Since I previously returned two Cooler Master brackets I think I will try to sell this Phanteks one locally for a loss so as to keep Amazon from flagging my account. I figure $30 is reasonable enough for it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MW73HTJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rather frustrated with people in general. While in Birmingham yesterday my manager mentioned the parts I am trying to sell. My lead was there and asked me about them. We talked a while and I worked up deal for him as his daughter was in need of a decent gaming computer. So for 350 I was selling him:
* Ryzen 5 1600
* MSI B350 Gaming Plus mobo
* AMD Wraith Max RGB cooler
* Patriot 2x4GB DDR4 3000MHz
* XFX RX570 4GB graphics card
* 512GB SSD
* Antec 650W PSU
Today he and I ended up in roughly the same area so we met up and I gave him the parts and he would be sending me the money when we get paid. No problem.

A couple of hours after I get home he texts me and says that his daughter has changed her mind and wants a 3D printer instead. He will be shipping me my parts tomorrow.

Honestly, it blows my mind that I cut someone that kind of deal... Oh well. I am going to order a case and put it all together and sell it as a complete system.

I purchased a Cooler Master Box K500 case to house the parts, dropped in an Asus wireless card that I had picked up from Micro Center a while back, and installed Win10 on it. A guy I used to work with called me about a computer issue he was having and I ended up selling the system to his daughter for $600. She was more than happy to get it. Here's a link to the case; I was pleasantly surprised by it.
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste...244ZF06ECW3&psc=1&refRID=7KF4BBXS4244ZF06ECW3

I know I can on mine which is still an ASRock X570 board, but my educated guess is the signaling will still be the same just artificially limited to 3.0. I know there are much higher tolerances when dealing with PCI-E 4 devices and I don't think changing the link speed in the bios will change that.

Edit: A humor jab here, if he still was on Nvidia it'd work :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom