Potentially the longest thread in history...

I have a feeling that wouldn't work out well for two reasons...

1: What web-master would give a copy of a websites contents(the database) to someone freely? None that I know of.

2: For it to be usable, I would have to setup another website on my LAN with the same software we use here, or software that is compatible...

An archive is just that, an archive, nothing usable except for being able to read things.

Right now I am at about 1GB of used data, and basically only 3-4 links deep on everything, yes I would love to get a copy of the database (strip anything private out?) and host it on a private server in read-only mode for archival purposes. But I also don't have a desire to drop money on vBulletin.

This is good, but as time goes on (especially with tech) this data will become out dated..... Like how many peeps look for anything related to XP or Vista?

You would be surprised what people try to dig up for various reasons. Who knows, maybe in 5-10 years someone will need to know something on XP or Vista, or Win7 and it might be information hosted only here, or be available here in an archive format. You never know what the future holds, hence why i like having copies of everything and information on what that stuff is available.

I mean, there are people still buying SCSI Raid Controllers for ancient machines and need "support" but a lot of buyouts make it almost impossible to find information on such things, firmware, drivers, manuals, mostly fallen into the void.

So your going to pay for providing downloads for these ancient devices?
Sometimes I google for drivers for ancient devices to help someone out, but a lot of times when I see a forum posting an old link, it is a 404 web page no longer in service. Are you going to do this on your own costs?
I think it's great to provide drivers for outdated SCSI devices and such things, But it would be an out of pocket cost for you to do that. Providing downloads for peeps for old hardware is not going to be free for you.
(unless your planning to use some type of adverts to support your cause)

Last edited:
I plan to do this for myself, I, and only I for the time being. I think you have taken an example and spun it around in your head a bit though. I don't plan on archiving everything we have linked to over the years, one, because that would just be craycray, two, this website links to too many places as is just for images and random ****, three, some websites just do not like being downloaded for offline purposes, at all, in any shape or form.

I think you have taken an example and spun it around in your head a bit though. I don't plan on archiving everything we have linked to over the years
Where or how did you get this idea?
I was thinking there's a ton of old hardware and not even this place has the links for that stuff. Your not stating how much hardware drivers/manuals and ect. you planned on providing. I was under the impression that you were going to provide drivers and manuals to download from. Just how big is this data base you want to provide?

Last edited:
To put it simply, I used the drivers thing as an example as to why I want an archive of this site. There's a lot of information here, some of it just isn't available elsewhere, and in 5 to 10 years, this site will probably be dead with the information. However, having a read-only archive available and online might help someone trying to figure something out for an old OS like Win7, XP, or even *shudders* vista. Yes all that information is still out there, but a lot of it is very hard to find.

Add in all the random conversations and arguments, like the old *** AMD Vs. Intel threads from 2004-06 and you have a rather fun read.

If I honestly had the bandwidth available, I would probably start hosting my own driver archive, but sadly, my ISP doesn't have such bandwidth available. I have just enough that basic HTML based websites can load from my webserver and not much else, though slowly.

To put it simply, I used the drivers thing as an example as to why I want an archive of this site. There's a lot of information here, some of it just isn't available elsewhere, and in 5 to 10 years, this site will probably be dead with the information. However, having a read-only archive available and online might help someone trying to figure something out for an old OS like Win7, XP, or even *shudders* vista. Yes all that information is still out there, but a lot of it is very hard to find.

Add in all the random conversations and arguments, like the old *** AMD Vs. Intel threads from 2004-06 and you have a rather fun read.

If I honestly had the bandwidth available, I would probably start hosting my own driver archive, but sadly, my ISP doesn't have such bandwidth available. I have just enough that basic HTML based websites can load from my webserver and not much else, though slowly.

Don't forget about the epic graphics card cutting thread :lol:.

Had a bad day yesterday on the drink being Sunday. Seriously rattled all day for that ****. I had alcohol in the house a had a few glasses of cider but last night man. I just went to bed early.

Nothing much apart from my drinking to talk about really. I haven't really been anywhere or talked to many people, I tend to try to keep things quiet as I just cant be chewed with other peoples S*** . Its just not worth it.

I've been watching the forums but never been on in about two months and man is it dead around here.

Back
Top Bottom