Potentially the longest thread in history...

You know what the funniest thing is to me right now. Every day I get on Twitter and see some enlightened righteous remainer give their verdict on why Brexiteers want to leave the EU. It's ****ing cringe worthy. They act like being a 'Brexiteer' (fwiw I hate that term), is some kind of new rare tropical disease that scientists don't understand. This guy today was going on some rant about how it's something to do with heroism and courageousness. Some right old tripe.

No mate it's really quite ****ing simple, we don't like the EU :lol::lol:

edit:

This was it: https://twitter.com/DuncanManton/status/1128040507416903685

I mean.. holy mother of overthinking.

Tbf when there's no clear *logical* reason people will start spinning narratives to explain it, makes as much sense as anything I've heard said with a straight face from the brexitinas :p

Tbf when there's no clear *logical* reason people will start spinning narratives to explain it, makes as much sense as anything I've heard said with a straight face from the brexitinas :p

Ah you see this is just it. They don't see the logic in it so they refuse to believe the simple answers we are telling them. Leave voters are VERY clear and have said hundreds of millions of times. They don't like the EU as a construct, they don't like the people that run it, and they don't like laws being imposed on us from another entity.

Remainers be like..."oooo but we like all those things, so that can't be right. there must be some deeper meaning to all of this". They can't just ****ing believe the very people who voted leave why they want to leave.

It's completely irrelevent if the reasons are flawed, wrong, incorrect or whatever. They are still the reasons people voted to leave.

If someone said "Yeah, i'm gonna jump in that fire 'cus God told me too". Then that is the reason. As atheists, we both know it's not true and illogical and wrong etc etc. But it's still the reason someone did it.

Last edited:
You know what grinds my gears.

When i'm on group chat on discord, and there are certain people that feel the need to affirm that they are correct all the time. Ffs no.

e.g.

"Like I said.."
"Just as I expected"
"Told you"
"As usual I was right about..."

There is this one guy that puts one of the above with nearly every message he sends on Discord.

Ah you see this is just it. They don't see the logic in it so they refuse to believe the simple answers we are telling them. Leave voters are VERY clear and have said hundreds of millions of times. They don't like the EU as a construct, they don't like the people that run it, and they don't like laws being imposed on us from another entity.

Remainers be like..."oooo but we like all those things, so that can't be right. there must be some deeper meaning to all of this". They can't just ****ing believe the very people who voted leave why they want to leave.

It's completely irrelevent if the reasons are flawed, wrong, incorrect or whatever. They are still the reasons people voted to leave.

If someone said "Yeah, i'm gonna jump in that fire 'cus God told me too". Then that is the reason. As atheists, we both know it's not true and illogical and wrong etc etc. But it's still the reason someone did it.
I lean very heavily toward Remain, but yeah these people annoy me. I get that a lot of people just don't like the EU; for them (i.e. you) the negatives outweigh the benefits. For me, the benefits outweigh the negatives. Plus, identity comes into it. You probably identify with being British more than you do European, whereas I identify as a European more than British. There's no magic deeper meaning to our preferences :p
Oh, and either side calling the others traitors to the country. Like, what?

Last edited:
I lean very heavily toward Remain, but yeah these people annoy me. I get that a lot of people just don't like the EU; for them (i.e. you) the negatives outweigh the benefits. For me, the benefits outweigh the negatives. Plus, identity comes into it. You probably identify with being British more than you do European, whereas I identify as a European more than British. There's no magic deeper meaning to our preferences :p
Oh, and either side calling the others traitors to the country. Like, what?

I wouldn't even say i'm very heavily anything anymore.

I just want it to end. Please god let it end. At this point I will accept full EU membership, the Euro, the adoption of French and German as official languages and a full EU Army. So long as Brexit and all it's cuntish people get out the news such as Nigel Garage, Theresa Gay, Chukka Moon, Jean Claude Van Wanker etc. Sick of the entire ****ing thing and everyone that has anything to do with it.

Seriously it's absolutely depressing that Brexit has been front line news 24 hours a day for the past 2.5 years. Not a single day of peace and quiet.

I don't hear anything about it over here :p it's nice. Our news likes to follow US news, where we get amazing updates like "DT says China will pay for tariffs" :p lellll

Though on brexit seriously, isn't the whole country argument kinda...archaic? My brother got his german passport cause our mum's dad was born in what ended up being a bit of land owned by germany at some point, and he flew over there IN LESS THAN 24RHS and is now living there for a few months just like that. We are well and truly an interconnected global civilization at this point, hanging on to land boundaries set centuries ago by people with mindsets from centuries ago is ****ing stupid. Do you think of "your" country as so superior to all others that all the good things you like about your country, couldn't possibly exist in any other country? It's not going to be a quick or easy thing to change, but it's certainly not helped by people trying to cling to old, ****ty, untrusting, exclusionary mindsets that are based off nothing but history and locality.

I wouldn't even say i'm very heavily anything anymore.

I just want it to end. Please god let it end. At this point I will accept full EU membership, the Euro, the adoption of French and German as official languages and a full EU Army. So long as Brexit and all it's cuntish people get out the news such as Nigel Garage, Theresa Gay, Chukka Moon, Jean Claude Van Wanker etc. Sick of the entire ****ing thing and everyone that has anything to do with it.

Seriously it's absolutely depressing that Brexit has been front line news 24 hours a day for the past 2.5 years. Not a single day of peace and quiet.

Preaching to the choir xD I'm sick of it too.

I don't hear anything about it over here :p it's nice. Our news likes to follow US news, where we get amazing updates like "DT says China will pay for tariffs" :p lellll

Though on brexit seriously, isn't the whole country argument kinda...archaic? My brother got his german passport cause our mum's dad was born in what ended up being a bit of land owned by germany at some point, and he flew over there IN LESS THAN 24RHS and is now living there for a few months just like that. We are well and truly an interconnected global civilization at this point, hanging on to land boundaries set centuries ago by people with mindsets from centuries ago is ****ing stupid. Do you think of "your" country as so superior to all others that all the good things you like about your country, couldn't possibly exist in any other country? It's not going to be a quick or easy thing to change, but it's certainly not helped by people trying to cling to old, ****ty, untrusting, exclusionary mindsets that are based off nothing but history and locality.

Hecc no, quite the opposite. I think this country is mainly ****.

But that's not really the point. The problem with being one of the richest countries in the EU is these interconnected benefits do not benefit 99% of people. It's useful for scientists who want to do projects abroad, and it's useful for students and young adults who like to work abroad for the experience. But for everyone else, it works against them.

Think of it like this. Lets pretend the USA, Mexico and Brazil go into a union. Everyone can move across countries instantly and easily with no visas or anything and live and work there. Okay good. But the USA does not benefit from this arrangement. There are very few circumstances where someone from the US benefits from the Mexico/Brazil union. The jobs are lower paid, the healthcare standards are worse, crime is higher etc. Now, this Union is *****ing great for Brazil and Mexico. Good ol' Pablo can go and trim hedges for 3x what he'd be paid at home.

And this is basically a very simplified version of the EU "issue". It's great for the bottom 25 countries. Spain, Portugal, Czechia, Poland, Romania, Lithuania etc - ****ing great for them, they are on the receiving end of the EU budget, and their nationals can and do travel to UK/France/Germany for higher paying and higher standard of living. What does the average blue/white collar UK worker get out of it ? how does a builder benefit from this arrangement - go and work in Lithuania for half the wage ?. Of course not. And can he go and work in France and Germany for vaguely similar money if for some reason he wanted to ? technically yes, but again, the money is very similar so no real gain, and we are not properly taught languages here so 99% of Brits can not speak French or German so it's a difficult transition from that perspective also. Everyone else in Europe is taught English, so atleast the French and German people have the attraction of being able to work in London with vastly jacked up wages and the fancy HQ of most big European/US companies. Germany has no such capital, Berlin is nice but it's a tiny fraction of what the London offers economically. Paris is the closest you get, but it's still a small fraction of London.

Last edited:
Had my first redundancy consultation meeting this morning.

They told me it would take about half an hour, I told them it would be a lot shorter than that. I managed to finish the interview in about 6 minutes. I had nothing to say, just want it over with ASAP.

Though they did actually listen to me when I said ASAP, as they said it might be possible to get my 2nd and final meeting in place for this afternoon - usually it's several days between meetings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom