Potentially the longest thread in history...

So, I've been in a headphone conundrum. My last pair of headphones died. I'm looking for a new pair of earbuds under $300 that don't have a build-in microphone and are super comfortable. Any suggestions y'all?

Just bought a pair of Etymotic headphones and they're suuuuuuper uncomfortable. :tongue:

I can't relate to $300 headphones, not wanting to write with pen and paper, and sacrificing privacy for convenience. That's not reality for most of humanity and never will be. I'm glad you guys can afford a robot **** doll that does your taxes afterwards, it's great technology.

Listen to Peter Theil and his data scientists brag about how easy and scientificly precise they can manipulate the behavior of huge socialogical groups by electronic means. I'd like these people to believe this about that. Now let's get them to vote like this, and turn key dictatorship is in every house.

I'll stay in my lane though, I know the pro convenience crowd is not big on free speech, dissent, unpleasant conversation, thought or research longer then 15 minutes, opposing views.

Don't want to hurt anyone's safe space.

Alexa, play Blues Clues and dim lights, pour me warm milk and tuck me in.

In my view this blind and aggressive consumerism without any thought to what you are buying or how the software works, or even by the users here own admission hardware (tell me one that doesn't have a microphone...)

If no one bought these evil products they couldn't sell them. I have always hoped the mineral reserves mined in conflict in African countries that phone screens and lithium batteries depend on would dry up and we the people reclaim our human dignity.

Quick without checking wikipedia or Huffington Post or whatever you choose to look things up:

Who writes the code for nest? Have you ever looked at it? "My networks secure.... Can't beach this...."

Ok. I don't want any of that stuff within 5 miles of me. And to make the glib comparison to wiretapping landlines, which required a warrant from Court and the victim to be stationary and in one building, to today's IoT, it's specious reasoning at best.

Couldn't disagree more with about 90% of the last few pages of this thread. All that's missing is the mating call of the asswipe, "you shouldn't care about privacy if you've got nothing to hide".

I'll get back to my lane, sir.

I mostly agree with you. I write my own automation (lights, A/C control, location tracking, etc). I don't have Alexa or Google or Cortana or what have you. My phone runs a degoogled ROM. All my services are self hosted. I don't rely on Google or any other major provider. It's quite nice. :tongue:

I can't relate to $300 headphones, not wanting to write with pen and paper, and sacrificing privacy for convenience. That's not reality for most of humanity and never will be. I'm glad you guys can afford a robot **** doll that does your taxes afterwards, it's great technology.

Listen to Peter Theil and his data scientists brag about how easy and scientificly precise they can manipulate the behavior of huge socialogical groups by electronic means. I'd like these people to believe this about that. Now let's get them to vote like this, and turn key dictatorship is in every house.

I'll stay in my lane though, I know the pro convenience crowd is not big on free speech, dissent, unpleasant conversation, thought or research longer then 15 minutes, opposing views.

In my view this blind and aggressive consumerism without any thought to what you are buying or how the software works, or even by the users here own admission hardware (tell me one that doesn't have a microphone...)

If no one bought these evil products they couldn't sell them. I have always hoped the mineral reserves mined in conflict in African countries that phone screens and lithium batteries depend on would dry up and we the people reclaim our human dignity.

Quick without checking wikipedia or Huffington Post or whatever you choose to look things up:

Who writes the code for nest? Have you ever looked at it? "My networks secure.... Can't beach this...."

Ok. I don't want any of that stuff within 5 miles of me. And to make the glib comparison to wiretapping landlines, which required a warrant from Court and the victim to be stationary and in one building, to today's IoT, it's specious reasoning at best.

Couldn't disagree more with about 90% of the last few pages of this thread. All that's missing is the mating call of the asswipe, "you shouldn't care about privacy if you've got nothing to hide".

My point isn't that the things you listed arn't desireable, they are.

My point is that it is impossible to avoid having your privacy eroded in 2019, and it's going to get way worse. So there isn't a lot of point trying. You already have a PC and smartphone hooked up to the internet. You already have email. You already have accounts and personal data 'securely stored' with dozens of companies, and those companies probably sold your data too, and those companies were probably hacked by China or North Korea. You should be far more concerned about the personal details you have stored with *non tech* companies that know **** all about keeping it safe than the data that Google might have.

Cool story bro, you sound like an 80 year old that sits on a lawn chair saying get off of my lawn. Also, you posted that reply in the wrong thread.

Problem being, I said what I said over there for a reason. Aka, stay in your lane. Why? It's fine to have YOUR opinion, but you couldn't follow Joe's example of simply saying it is what it is. INstead we get a long post about this and that. So you're a tin hatter, great. More power to you. I evolved from embracing technology at an early age. Your thought process won't change the inevitable. You don't change with it, fine but don't try to pressure others. I know what I'm getting into and as you so quoted there ARE mics in everything. I stopped caring a long time ago after facing the harsh reality.

There's a suitable quote from someone I'm struggling to remember right now. He was talking about how his attitude had shifted towards fatalistic acceptance, which I can't help agree with.
Doesn't mean you shouldn't take any care whatsoever, but lets forget the delusion that you're somehow "secure" or "not compromised" by changing search engines and not installing a Google Home bot.

Two days in a row i've had a good 8 hour sleep, and I get to work and can barely keep my eyes open. Wtf.

This is weird though. Thought i'd be having handover meetings and such today... but nothing so far. No one has said a thing :lol:

Using any intoxicants more than usual? One of alcohol & weed's side effects after a while is easier sleep but one that doesn't kick up into the rem stage much, resulting in poorer quality of sleep even though you didn't wake at all during the night. edit moar reading, webmd says also could be stress and also you definitely have *** cancer

Last edited:
Using any intoxicants more than usual? One of alcohol & weed's side effects after a while is easier sleep but one that doesn't kick up into the rem stage much, resulting in poorer quality of sleep even though you didn't wake at all during the night.

Not drank in a couple of weeks, and not taken weed in a couple of months. All clean.

Back
Top Bottom