Potentially the longest thread in history...

I want to work for myself but my goals are untenable, I started too late and don't know how to make anything that anyone wants to buy. But seems to me the real ballers have an app, get it to be innovative or first of it's kind (Uber was great, then came Lyft, etc etc). Seems like the way to do it is come out with some new outlying idea that has never been done and wait to be bought out by the evil ones (facebook, amazon, google, microsoft, apple, one of the app overs)

But amassing millions isn't and has never been a goal of mine. I give most of what I earn away in bills, mostly transportation medical and housing, and the rest I either travel or give to charity or whoever I think needs it. Have little saved and nothing invested. Not a big gambling fan so never invested anything. After being with everyone in USA 2008 all watching our **** go lower at the same time, and then all the "experts" saying afterwards oh well it was obvious......., then why wasn't it avoided?

I would love to be part of the tiny house movement, but I don't know construction or towing and how do they get gasoline with no job? ID to drive with no mailing address? Idk how to do a lot of things.

Lately been trying to learn more about survival. The thing I was reading said to expand the time of camping trips longer and longer and eventually you'll learn to get food and hide from storms and idk coyotes and whatever else out there.

It took years for you to change to the state you're in, why would it make sense to think you're gonna be able to just snap out of that overnight? It requires time. Just the same as, if you could go back in time, you couldn't make yourself sit there and literally feel like you feel now on a whim. People don't change that fast.

Pick a small goal and meet it. That's all. If it's python, learn how to make a variable and call it a day. Analogy; don't stack 100kg onto the bar for your first gym visit and disappoint yourself, the goal for the first day is just walk through the damn door. Literally that, then turn around and go home again - goal successfully met for the day, well done.
The fact of the matter is you're currently uber **** at motivating yourself and setting good goals. Who gives a flying **** though? I don't :p the aim is to be honest about where you're at, not impress anyone or play pretend with yourself. Set a reasonable goal that's within your capabilities to achieve. Right now, bulk-reading python ain't it. But maybe you can learn how to assign a variable, and that's all you need to do right now. Feel me G?

edit:
Oh man, today I finally tracked down an issue with our new phones. We switched to VoIP handsets and new wireless headsets, but a group of 6 desks all had a buzzing sound on the headset only. Moving them to my desk fixed the issue, not a hw issue. Switching network cables *sometimes* fixed it. Sometimes only temporarily. Switching to a brand new headset *sometimes* fixed it, nearly always temporarily it turns out. Plugging in our OLD wireless headset unit also solved the problem 100% though, so I was convinced it was a headset issue or incompatibility.
****ING TURNS OUT, it's something about the power board/circuit under the desk that also somehow links to the other PCs near it. Cause when I ran an extension cable to the headset power adapter direct from the wall, and ran the ethernet for the handset direct from an empty 8-port PoE switch, the buzzing stops! Tomorrow I'm gonna figure out exactly wtf is poisoning the power for the desk there, and how it could possibly be affecting the nearby desks too idk..I have a feeling the power is joined in the ceiling. Never seen an issue like this before, what a nightmare that was to TS.
Especially because yesterday, we called the phone guy in to demonstrate the issue and...all 6 problematic desks had no buzz. At all. Like wtf. But it was back this morning.

Last edited:
It took years for you to change to the state you're in, why would it make sense to think you're gonna be able to just snap out of that overnight? It requires time. Just the same as, if you could go back in time, you couldn't make yourself sit there and literally feel like you feel now on a whim. People don't change that fast.

As with everything that needs change, pick a small goal and meet it. That's all. If it's python, learn how to make a variable and call it a day. Analogy; don't stack 100kg onto the bar for your first gym visit and disappoint yourself, the goal for the first day is just walk through the damn door. Literally that, then turn around and go home again - goal successfully met for the day, well done.
The fact of the matter is, you're currently uber **** at motivating yourself and setting good goals. Who gives a flying **** though? I don't. The aim is to be honest about where you're at, not impress anyone or play pretend with yourself. Set a reasonable goal that's within your capabilities to achieve. Right now, bulk-reading python ain't it. But maybe you can learn how to assign a variable, and that's all you need to do right now. Feel me G?

You are right actually, I am terrible at setting goals for myself. I always fall into the trap of all or nothing. My goal was just 'learn Python' so I can sit and write useful apps at work in Python. This is a pretty huge undertaking as a noob dev, as it would realistically take many months or years to become fluent in a language. And so I just fail all the time.

So yes, I should probably get better at setting much more achievable targets and then I am less likely to feel defeated and unmotivated.

I have been really tempted to order something like ritalin to help, but that is a slippery slope and so I keep avoiding it.

The weird thing is though, the apathy is ridic strong is many aspects of my life, but then in others, the opposite is true. I am really lazy and unmotivated at most things in life, even fun stuff such as watching TV or games. But there are a few small areas where I can and do expend a lot of my personal time and energy. The amount of reading/learning I do about certain things is quite insane. I started following this guy on twitter that belongs to the ICTC counter terrorist organisation, since then I think i've read several hundred pages on militant and terrorist groups around the world, evening after evening I just spent absolutely ages learning about them. Kind of weird. Sad thing is my memory is crap and I can't remember most of what I read.

Last edited:
Idk man, I was legit badly depressed a while back and it felt ****ing awful. I don't feel bad/sad or anything like that anymore. I am quite content. But I just can't be motivated to do anything...
There are different types of depression. It's not all I'm gonna kill myself I feel so bad.

I take it their G scale isn't the same as the standard government G scale and neither is Lockheed's. I started in ALIS as an L3 with an L4 wage. Made it quite difficult to find high ground or middle ground employment. I was quite lucky I got the phone call I did.

Nope, it used to be many years ago but not anymore.
What I like about Raytheon is we're treated as technical staff just like the engineers, which IMO is how it should be. We're on the same payscale (and paid the same as engineers at the same paygrade).

It also has about 20 voice packs to choose from, I've set it to some high pitched anime-esque voice. If it needs emptying I hear like "uh ohhhhhh! xaichu ching chi me eeeeeeeeeeee!" and it's great. I stuck these eyes on it too

:lol: I have a set of googly eyes on my roomba too. These guys. Though mine doesn't talk. it's a eufy robovac. Does alright for the $120 I paid for it. :tongue:

I understand where he's coming from, been there a few times. It's called depression.

Depression for me is soul sucking in a way that plain apathy isn't, that's why imo there's still a need for both words. These days I wouldn't really say I'm that way anymore, but I'm still plenty lazy/apathetic about things :p my kitchen for example should've been finished weeks ago, but cause I can make do pretty easily without it, I'm a bit meh about putting in the time. I should prob finish it already -_- xD

Back
Top Bottom