Potentially the longest thread in history...

Today I just sold our Intex pool on Craigslist. We discussed what we would want for it because it was going on it's 4th year and to be honest we did not expect to get more than 3yrs out of it anyway. We decided on $100. so I advertised it for $125. Someone offered $100. and it sold for what we originally wanted. It is just how capitalism works?
Nah not capitalism, it's just people are insanely cheap when it comes to electronics and cars. Pricing it higher to get what you originally wanted is nothing more than beating a haggler's market, or Black Friday. If he priced it at 200 to get 150 he wouldn't have got any offers. Same thing happened when trying to sell a Titan Xp. I priced it at 600 when 2080s were going for 900 and not a single message. Lowered the price to 500 to see what would happen and got offers at 400. I responded to them all with a list of sold Ebay auctions lol. Mind you, this card also had a mint box, a full cover EK acrylic nickel water block, and the stock cooler installed on it for the sale.

Nah not capitalism, it's just people are insanely cheap when it comes to electronics and cars. Pricing it higher to get what you originally wanted is nothing more than beating a haggler's market, or Black Friday. If he priced it at 200 to get 150 he wouldn't have got any offers. Same thing happened when trying to sell a Titan Xp. I priced it at 600 when 2080s were going for 900 and not a single message. Lowered the price to 500 to see what would happen and got offers at 400. I responded to them all with a list of sold Ebay auctions lol. Mind you, this card also had a mint box, a full cover EK acrylic nickel water block, and the stock cooler installed on it for the sale.
I suppose what it is that your selling and that demand for that product. Asking for more and stating "asking for" in your ad gives the buyer to make a counter offer. It all depends on supply and demand on what ever you posting for sale. Right now a used pool is selling, I had three offers, but it is spring time here in Mich. There are a lot of varibles involved with making a sale on line or even in the local news paper. Generally I alway's ask for a little more and let the buyer counter offer. They think they are getting a better deal on something and are happy about that and I am able to sell for what I think I wanted in the first place. It can be very psychological... Apple is a very good example of that to increase sales

Consumerism is nothing but a gigantic mind f*ck that is manufactured by corporate. So it depends mostly on supply and demand.

Last edited:
I suppose what it is that your selling and that demand for that product. Asking for more and stating "asking for" in your ad gives the buyer to make a counter offer. It all depends on supply and demand on what ever you posting for sale. Right now a used pool is selling, I had three offers, but it is spring time here in Mich. There are a lot of varibles involved with making a sale on line or even in the local news paper. Generally I alway's ask for a little more and let the buyer counter offer. They think they are getting a better deal on something and are happy about that and I am able to sell for what I think I wanted in the first place. It can be very psychological... Apple is a very good example of that to increase sales

Consumerism is nothing but a gigantic mind f*ck that is manufactured by corporate. So it depends mostly on supply and demand.
In terms of Marketplace like he was referring to it's no different than CL. You got a price and the product like if you were on Amazon. You got sellers that will say OBO then when you offer them lower they say price is firm. Then you have the other side of the coin where you can put price is firm and they will call you names because you don't want their lowball. There's an amount of toxicity when it comes to online used selling places outside of Amazon or Ebay. In your case it's simple smart marketing and logistics, or a smart haggler whichever way you want to go lol. I do the same thing, or rather was trying but for whatever reason I got 0 traction on a very in demand piece of hardware which turned into my favor anyways as it's now making me 5 bucks a day *shrug*.

Suppose the generality of it is capitalism if we want to push it under supply and demand but the phone market really isn't as pinched as say graphics cards and cheap pools right before summer. (Last year it was trampolines) It's just simply people being assholes wanting something for nothing.

yup... there are A-holes out there. I think if Trotter waits he will find an offer that will work for him. Personally I think FB is full of A-holes to start with and he would better off selling on a different platform.

yup... there are A-holes out there. I think if Trotter waits he will find an offer that will work for him. Personally I think FB is full of A-holes to start with and he would better off selling on a different platform.
True enough. FB is just easier.

In terms of buying second hand you see this all the time over here on Gumtree . People will list second hand kit for their used PC's , components or whatever and ask a stupid price. Baring in mind the amount of adverts I have seen of people say listing a second hand system and then followed x is missing but sill want top dollar chews me up every single time. If I see something I want, and in the past when I have had the cash and I mean its something I want I have on occasions just bought it their and then and paid the asking price . With these days of drinking I'm a lot more grounded and down to earth and have become a lot more sensible with my money . Priority's override everything in my case these days, being food, tobacco and drink.

In terms of buying second hand you see this all the time over here on Gumtree . People will list second hand kit for their used PC's , components or whatever and ask a stupid price. Baring in mind the amount of adverts I have seen of people say listing a second hand system and then followed x is missing but sill want top dollar chews me up every single time. If I see something I want, and in the past when I have had the cash and I mean its something I want I have on occasions just bought it their and then and paid the asking price . With these days of drinking I'm a lot more grounded and down to earth and have become a lot more sensible with my money . Priority's override everything in my case these days, being food, tobacco and drink.
Hehehe:AwwwYea:

So i've been feeling pretty tired for the past year or two. Nothing super bad, I could still stay awake all day, do my job, do daily activites etc. But I always just felt a bit tired like I had 6 hours of sleep instead of 8. The past 8 weeks it seemed a bit worse, like every day I was just lethargic and wanted to just watch TV all day. So I thought, screw it i'll get a blood test and hopefully that will tell me whats wrong.

And oh boy do I have a lot wrong. I have fatty liver, deficient in a bunch of other shit, and most importantly my Hba1c is through the roof and 2x baseline for type 2 diabetes. Yep, i'm fucking type 2 diabetic. rip. I've had some secondary blood tests just to confirm the results, as apparently the doctor found it very surprising that my Hba1c levels were that high for my age and weight - not impossible but he said it was unlikely. Anyway i'm pretty sure they are correct, it would explain my low level fatigue. The past week i've totally avoided processed carbs and removed anything sugary from my diet, and I already feel way more energetic. Tested my blood glucose using a meter off Amazon and I can keep it in a fairly normal range if I eat smart, so hopefully I don't need too much medication straight away...

So i've been feeling pretty tired for the past year or two. Nothing super bad, I could still stay awake all day, do my job, do daily activites etc. But I always just felt a bit tired like I had 6 hours of sleep instead of 8. The past 8 weeks it seemed a bit worse, like every day I was just lethargic and wanted to just watch TV all day. So I thought, screw it i'll get a blood test and hopefully that will tell me whats wrong.

And oh boy do I have a lot wrong. I have fatty liver, deficient in a bunch of other shit, and most importantly my Hba1c is through the roof and 2x baseline for type 2 diabetes. Yep, i'm fucking type 2 diabetic. rip. I've had some secondary blood tests just to confirm the results, as apparently the doctor found it very surprising that my Hba1c levels were that high for my age and weight - not impossible but he said it was unlikely. Anyway i'm pretty sure they are correct, it would explain my low level fatigue. The past week i've totally avoided processed carbs and removed anything sugary from my diet, and I already feel way more energetic. Tested my blood glucose using a meter off Amazon and I can keep it in a fairly normal range if I eat smart, so hopefully I don't need too much medication straight away...
Are you officially type 2? I had the same thing back in 2017 and I've been damn near sugar free since but it's coming back. Just randomly start getting tired between 1 and 3pm. I haven't increased intake of sugar and I've reduced other harsh substances. I wasn't type 2 but my A1C was high back then but it's since lowered. I'm sure a fully blood test would show worse.

Back
Top Bottom