Potentially the longest thread in history...

They all are basically like that, but to be honest I was saying that back when they announced it and we all had a discussion here. It's more than enough power to do what most who would buy that device do. I personally want an Air M1 so I can text and do all my internet on it to get everything else off my gaming PC.

Macs to my knowledge have always been better in hardware performance than IBM compats due to OS optimizations. Not sure about the bang for the buck (which is a strong point to discuss and come up with judgements) but on similar specs they are better. That, however, does not make IBM compats hopeless. They can still do everything all-in-one all the time.

What those people fail to do is looking at things from all angles. That or they have an agenda. Fanboy agenda, that is.

Macs to my knowledge have always been better in hardware performance than IBM compats due to OS optimizations. Not sure about the bang for the buck (which is a strong point to discuss and come up with judgements) but on similar specs they are better. That, however, does not make IBM compats hopeless. They can still do everything all-in-one all the time.

What those people fail to do is looking at things from all angles. That or they have an agenda. Fanboy agenda, that is.
Much more than you think now, because the M1 is their own chip and makes these 3 devices 100% part of their walled garden and ecosystem. They have 100% control over everything to optimize each and every part, not just OS now but hardware and OS.

The M1 MBA is great. It's fanless, and therefor silent - and it runs cool. It wakes instantly. The SSD is very fast and the integrated 8GB RAM on the SoC for the base model honestly makes it feel better than any 8GB RAM Windows machine i've ran. I've had multiple 4K videos playing on YouTube, edited photos, had Apple Maps open, Discord, Steam, 15+ other tabs, Apple Music playing, Xcode open. It handles it all no problem. It's not a gaming machine, but you can still play games on it. I had no problem hitting 30 fps in 1440x900 (high settings thouhg) in Cities Skylines, CIV6, Wargame and WoW. There are some bugs on MacOS Big Sur, i've had it just reboot once randomly and also had a black screen and just a cursor when I opened the lid one time. That's with about 6 hours usage a day. So it's less reliable than my Win 10 PC. But I guess that is to be expected with an Arm transition and still 2/3rds of my apps running through Rosetta. Web browsing is quite ridiculous on it as well to be honest. The M1 has better single threaded score than my 2700X on my PC and Safari has a better javascript engine than Chrome, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised. But there is just something funny about watching a 10W SoC fanless laptop load webpages quicker than my ethernet hardwired gaming PC. We're talking fractions of a second, but it's still there.

Back
Top Bottom