Post your rigs here.

I almost forgot, Today is my oldest brat is 43 years old. They say you are only as old as you feel...Damn I came in with the dinosaurs!!!

Specs:
i5 (3000k series not sure of the exact spec)
8gb DDR3
Nvidia 9400gt (LOUSY)
Stock cooler
Asus Mobo
Some lousy hp monitor with a resolution of 1600x900 that looks like junk and squishes everything...
(this PC was a hand me down and was originally build by a pc store and was an office pc so the case is hust standard with no RGB or windows...)

Just got my new laptop.

MSI GE75 Raider
i7-10750H
16GB RAM
512GB NVMe + 1TB 5400 RPM HDD
6GB RTX 2060 (115w)
17.3" FHD 3ms 144Hz display

I still have my desktop, but I built it in 2012, so it's showing its age..

i7 3770k
16GB RAM
128GB SSD + 2x1TB 7200 RPM HDD
EVGA GTX 660TI 2GB
Dual 27" monitors

Will eventually be building a new desktop.
New GPU in that rig and it'd be good really.

I always believed that computer parts should never be replaced until they are obsolete. That's for home user, not business. I only replaced the 3570k because games keep dipping to 30-40 from 60 FPS due to CPU bottlenecking and that ruins the game play flow. Otherwise I would have kept it the way it is. Just because it is like 10 years old, it does not have to be replaced. Also home users aren't in (at?) a pinch like business users to complain about couple of seconds or a little grafix quality loss. But I guess it depends on the definition of obsolete from one another, huh!

Do you guys go for full builds upon upgrading? I can't see a reason to do that unless the whole older build is to still be used. I'm using the old PSU on my new build (or upgraded box) and it works just fine. Let alone the case, storage, CPU cooler, peripherals... etc.

Last edited:
If I'm upgrading, I'll do a core swap (CPU/mobo/sometimes ram if needed) but unless something dies, or wanting for better something (I.E. Better cooling, bigger HDD, etc...) I keep everything else.

I might look at the new nvidia GPU's this time around, but unless it's significantly better than my 1080ti now, and the price tag won't cost me a new car, I won't bother...

I always say that computer parts should never be replaced until they are obsolete. That's for home user, not business. I only replaced the 3570k because games keep dipping to 30-40 from 60 FPS due to CPU bottlenecking and that ruins the game play flow. Otherwise I would have kept it the way it is. Just because it is like 10 years old, it does not have to be replaced. Also home users aren't in (at?) a pinch like business users to complain about couple of seconds or a little grafix quality loss. But I guess it depends on the definition of obsolete from one another, huh!

Do you guys go for full builds upon upgrading? I can't see a reason to do that unless the whole older build is to still be used. I'm using the old PSU on my new build (or upgraded box) and it works just fine. Let alone the case, storage, CPU cooler, peripherals... etc.
CPU bottlenecking, or because of resolution in a CPU demanding game? When I did my testing of my own CPUs against each other I put my 2500k in there and I only had one game dip into the high 40s because I was benching everything at Ultra 1440p using a single RTX 2080. More than likely it just needed to be overclocked.

I upgrade what I need and only what I need, and usually it's because I want rather than a pure need. For instance if I moved to Ryzen 4000 series this winter I won't be upgrading my RAM or motherboard unless IF ratio can handle past 1800 @ 1:1. (Aka won't go above 3600 unless I can run 3800 or 4000 1:1). I've had the same PSU since 2009 and I intend on upgrading it but it's only to something I can keep another 10 years and sideload this to another rig.

Back
Top Bottom