Post-Patching

tomcamish44

Beta member
Hi all,

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong thread.

Each month my company have a "patch weekend", and directly afterwards my team is required to check a long list of applications to check they're working. Sometimes we have the odd service here or there and didn't start up or a server that needs logging in so scripts can run etc.

At the moment, it's a list in an excel spreadsheet, with a header for each server and instructions such as "launch the app, log in, search for a record" and if all steps complete it's a test pass.

I was just wondering if anyone else has to do similar checks, and how you do it? Surely there's a better way of doing it than an excel list.

Thanks in advance.

When I was an admin we had a Onenote for the team. New patches and upgrades for the proprietary software would require new troubleshooting steps. Any tech that figured something out or wrote a script would jot it down so the others would know. Any KBs that would screw up normal operations or required something out of the norm we updated our main sheet for regular server maintenance. Same thing just different software really, and super helpful for new people on the team to lesson the learning curve.

When I was an admin we had a Onenote for the team. New patches and upgrades for the proprietary software would require new troubleshooting steps. Any tech that figured something out or wrote a script would jot it down so the others would know. Any KBs that would screw up normal operations or required something out of the norm we updated our main sheet for regular server maintenance. Same thing just different software really, and super helpful for new people on the team to lesson the learning curve.
This is precisely what we do working in support. We've even named the Onenote "STONE" - Support Team One(note)

Back
Top Bottom