possilbe damage??

racincc84

Baseband Member
I was working on my computer the other day, and i had the side panel off with the system turned on. The power connector to the hard drive was loose, and i bumped the power wire causing the hard drive to power off then back on about 3 times in 5 seconds, which locked up my system. The drive also made a clicking sound that didnt sound too good. I fixed the connector and so far everything seems to be ok. Could this in any way have permanently damaged the drive?

That's not good for the hard drive, but so is a hard reboot. It happens to all of us from time to time. I had to force a powerdown who knows how many times from Windows crashing on me. If it's up and running now, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think there will be much permanent damage. Over time, the hard drive will experience normal wear and tear anyways.

I hate forcing a powerdown. What really pisses me of is that the cheapest internet cafe near me is very poorly run.

Say that you are having a problem with a game, like it wont load or anything, what they do is come to your machine and try to load it for themselves. Then if it doesnt they force a powerdown and make you move. Well, I was on the same computer a month later and the problem still occured. I have notice this happen alot, with the same computers. Which is about half. So, half of the computer don't work properly and they don't even fix it, they just force a powerdown. That can't be good on the computer. At the end of the day they force a powerdown also. So the only way the computers turn off is through a force powerdown ALL the time.

I looked at the hardware in the comps and they have an amd64 3200, radeon 9800, 1 gig of ram. And the computer run VERY slow. I blame the powerdowns.

Back
Top Bottom