Possibly dead mobo? BSOD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff1000

In Runtime
Long story short.
Built a AMD 3200 939 based pc a few years ago with help from all on this site. Everything was good. 5 years later, one day just stopped working replaced PSU, all good once again. Most recently PC had trouble booting into windows, got this message in DOS, NTDLR is missing, would only boot after numerous attempts with XP CD.

Said **** it, reformatted my 80 gb sata, reinstall windows, having boot issues still following reformat. **** must be the hard drive. Remove from system(unplugged). Format my 60gb IDE HDD, install windows, somewhat works, and somewhat boots up with out trouble. Was using on and off for the last few days for light browsing starting to put stuff back on the pc, progs and what not. At this point the pc performance is very choppy, hanging and ultimately crashing when it feels like it. It would lock up especially when trying to run a kaspersky full-scan at about 5%. At this point all drivers are installed and up to date, even bios. I always had the f8 revision with no probs, then i updated to f9g, and from there went to ****. So I order a 939 4400x2 processor(yet to arrive) and bought a new 500gb sata drive and 2gb of ram (2x 1gb of 400mhz ddr) Now its giving me beeps some times successful boot, sometimes its beeping for ddr fault and even video fault ( so 3 diff sequences at different attempts of booting) and sometimes when powered up the mobo wont even beep and monitor stays in sleep.

So so far my diagnosing has led to me...
-replacing ram (checked old and new with memtest)
-swapping hard drives and trying to installing xp 2 different times with progressivly worse results
-updating bios f10 from f9g, wouldnt take it so i downgraded back to f8 and then f1 and still NO change
-googling led me to trying a good psu with no results, my replacment psu was a cheap 15 bucker.

Now if i try to boot up with my last install of xp which was working 2 days ago i get a BSOD at the load screen and boots before i can read it.

Last time in windows i couldnt even browse 2 browsers as the pc usage was at 100% constant and proceeded to crash after that. And that leads me here today. (system was using 100% and it wasnt idle process)

I saw a few pics of blown capacitiors and from inspection i can see definately one blown on the MOBO, Im leaning to replace to mobo and gfx card anyways as looking to go sli or atleast pci-e.

Is 6 years pushing this motherboards lifespan or what. Kind of regret ordering the amd 4400x2

It went from having trouble in XP freezing,hanging, to now doing the same thing in BIOS, WTF.

TY all for your help, and glad to be trolling again.

sorry for the long story short lol

Amd 3200 939
Gigabyte ga-k8nsc-939
Cheap 400w PSU
XFX 6200 256 mb agp vid card
turtle beach sound card
Hitachi 80 gb sata (disconnected)
WD 60gb ide (current install, working windows)
New WD 500gb sata (hooked up but clear)
Was running 2x512 mb ram
Now 2x1gb of ram
CD writer
Dvd writer
working floppy drive

Pics of capacitors
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/mthd_1990/Computer/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom