possible virus :S

Gamingfreak

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,160
my hard drive has been gettin accessed a lot lately like it never stops and if i check the task manager my cpu is running at 100% but if i look at the processes there arent any that are obviously using a ton of cpu power, i scanned with avg free edition and didnt find anything and i cant get into safe mode but other then that my comp is running like usual, is there anything else i can do to check?
 

Computer Head

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,841
Have you tried toning down your startup queue using msconfig? Maybe something loads that uses up all your CPU. Or a virus could load...
 

~mr mixx~

The Candyman
Messages
11,355
Location
USA
gaming_freak said:
my hard drive has been gettin accessed a lot lately like it never stops and if i check the task manager my cpu is running at 100% but if i look at the processes there arent any that are obviously using a ton of cpu power, i scanned with avg free edition and didnt find anything and i cant get into safe mode but other then that my comp is running like usual, is there anything else i can do to check?
if all else fails, you could also take out your hhd...change over the jumper's to slave, put it into another computer and boot-up normally w/the other comp. then do a virus scan...it may catch something that your comp. did not.

you can also do a spyware scan too, this may also find something that your comp. missed. when you put the hhd back into your comp. be shure to move the jumper's back to master.
 

^Mike^

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,958
jervin32189 said:
Have you tried toning down your startup queue using msconfig? Maybe something loads that uses up all your CPU. Or a virus could load...
i agree, type "msconfig" in the start - run box. See if anything suspicious is in there, use google to find what they are. Also you can try trendmicro.com they have a great spyware scanner.
 

Computer Head

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,841
All I have on my msconfig to start up is all Windows apps (like Rundll32, MSTASK, things of that sort), antivirus/firewall programs, and any programs that I need to start automatically. Other than that, just uncheck em all. You might want to leave any programs with hardware drivers checked.
 

Gamingfreak

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,160
well i still havent found a virus so im starting to wonder if my hard drive is failing, it clicks quite loudly when i open programs and stuff so whats normal for a hard drive? i mean i know they make some noise but how do u know when its going bad? i dont see how this hard drive could be failing because its pretty new
 

Half Evil

Golden Master
Messages
16,076
Well considered trying a different virus software? I guarentee you that Avira will find anything that AVG wont. Trust me, ive used them both!
 

Computer Head

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,841
gaming_freak said:
well i still havent found a virus so im starting to wonder if my hard drive is failing, it clicks quite loudly when i open programs and stuff so whats normal for a hard drive? i mean i know they make some noise but how do u know when its going bad? i dont see how this hard drive could be failing because its pretty new
If it makes a loud click like a drumbeat, steady, it would seem to me like a read/write head going bad on the hard drive. That would be notably different than the usual grind of a hard drive being constantly accessed. If the hard drive is indeed making an abnormal sound, try looking into the warranty and see if it is still valid. If it is, start making some calls. Otherwise, start shopping.
 

Gamingfreak

Fully Optimized
Messages
2,160
i'll give avira a try, right now i have avast and avg and they didnt find anything but we'll see
 
Top