Possible video card issue -- ATI X1650

Status
Not open for further replies.

houndofspace

Baseband Member
I just tinkered with my little brother's computer and this is the current configuration:

AMD Sempron 3000+ 2.0ghz processor
1gb pc3200 ddr ram
120gb hard drive

256mb Radeon X1650 Video Card (AGP)
Driver Version: 8.411.0.0 (up to date)
DirectX 9.0c

I decided to test it out with some CS: Source, so I installed steam and loaded cs:s on his comp from my steam account. Everything installs fine. When I launch the game, the monitor blinks (changing res) and I see the cs:s load screen for a second. The video card fan kicks on then the monitor blinks again, and I am back at my desktop, steam staring at me like it did nothing wrong.

also, in a probably related problem, the earthsim software that came with the ati card won't launch either...

I tested the card out with Passmark PerformanceTest and it threw this error when I ran the 3d tests:

///Invalid video mode.
///the resolution and color depth you have
///chosen do not appear to be valid for
///hardware acceleration.
///
///Please ensure that the correct monitor
///drivers are installed.
///
///Also ensure that the most recent video
///drivers for your graphics adapter have been
///installed properly

The monitor driver is as new as it's going to get and I have the latest ati drivers.

I looked at the video adapter properties and it lists the location of the card as: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0. It's an AGP card, so is there something wrong with this?

I don't know what the problem is. thanks for any help

It sounds like the game is trying to open at a resolution not supported by the card, then just kills the program instead. I have an x1650 pro that i used until i built my new machine and never ran into any resolution problems that it couldnt handle.

I've tried to change the launch options for the game. I believe it tries to open in 800x600, which my card definitely supports.

I'm still at a lost.

thanks again

having the same problems with my bro's computer.

I read on another board that you added new RAM. Not sure how related it is, but he did the exact same thing. We're gonna play around with a few ideas and let you know what happens.

Keep me updated if you come up with anything!

I did have 1.5gb in system, and (while everything else worked fine) I figured that might be the problem with cs: source. It was one 1gb stick and a 512. I tried two 1gb sticks and the comp wouldnt start. So I went down to 2x512 sticks and , again, everything works fine except cs:source. It doesn't seem to me to be a memory problem; I have enough to run the game, and both sticks are identical and functioning properly.

:::Update:::

I went into the bios and changed the primary video adapter from PCI to AGP/onboard. No noticeable difference.

CS:source still fails to launch and the PerformanceTest still throws the same error.

I am open to anything.

---- eipeks- please keep me in the loop. this is really frustrating

The board has onboard graphics yes? Pull the video card, set it back to onboard graphics, boot up and uninstall the drivers for the video card (1650). Then go and download the latest drivers for the 1650. Reinstall the card and use the latest graphics drivers. Let me know what happens.

Alright. All is well.

I ended up having to go into safe mode and use a driver cleaning program to wipe all the stuff the ATI uninstaller leaves. The problem persisted at that point with the up to date driver (7.9). So I downloaded 7.7 from earlier this year and everything works beautifully.

Thanks all for your assistance. That was no fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom