Possible spyware affecting my computer! Help !!

lucy

Beta member
Can anyone reply to this message on the forum - I'm not giving my usual e mail address. Since only last night My system is plagued with pop up ads since visiting a tourism website, and a white box with a message in appeared to suggest its spyware. I find it difficult to get onto programs because of the constant pop ups. Mc afee Virus scan on my machine picks up nothing...hoping for quick reply - Many thanks ! Lucy x

I'd imagine that is just a Message from the Internet. If the correct Windows Security Patches aren't installed then messages can come through to the computer which set off a system program which brings upa message - like a very basic IP Address based Messenger. The security patches get rid of this flaw.

Just go to http://WindowsUpdate.Microsoft.com and install all of the Critical Updates. That should sort it out. Please tell us if it does or doesn't.

spyware - found problems !

Yes as I suspected as suddenly plagued with them, spyware was on my computer. I have run search and destroy and also adware 6. I found 119 things wrong and deleted them. so far much better, except there is still one ad (polyphonic ring tone) ad by a company based in macclesfield - that keeps opening when I try to open blue yonder home page.

Should I try your suggeston on the patch next?

Thanks & best wishes, Lucy

Re: spyware - found problems !

lucy said:
Yes as I suspected as suddenly plagued with them, spyware was on my computer. I have run search and destroy and also adware 6. I found 119 things wrong and deleted them. so far much better, except there is still one ad (polyphonic ring tone) ad by a company based in macclesfield - that keeps opening when I try to open blue yonder home page.

Ah! Well at least it worked! But you can always look on Windows Update anyway - its always useful to download everything on there whatever the state of the Computer is.

Glad to be of help.

Re: spyware - found problems !

lucy said:

Try the patch. Also, go to taskmanager and check what programs are running. End anything that looks suspicious.

Back
Top Bottom