Possible new configuration

Newbie24

Solid State Member
Good morning.

It's reached the point where I've eeked as much life as I can out from my current desktop and consequently am in the market for a new one. Rather than go with an off the shelf set up I'm giving thought to having one made for me with the hope that I'll be able to get more bang for my buck in terms of performance, reliability, and longevity.

The most taxing usage for the machine will be when I edit photos with Adobe Photoshop. Sometimes the files approach 75 to 100 mbs and can be larger at times. The other main usage is spreadsheet work. I don't do any gaming.

I've done some reading on what others with the same system usage patterns have built for themselves, but given my lack of technological expertise I'm not able to assess the relative merits of each of the options as they pertain to my particular situation. Accordingly, I am in need of guidance in building a machine best meets my needs and budget. I certainly don't have a need or the budget for "the best of the best", but I do want a machine that will be able to competently perform for years to come with what it's tasked to do. That said I also want to avoid getting far too much machine for my needs.

Here is what I've come up with. I welcome your suggestions.

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D
CPU: Intel i7 930
RAM: Kingston DDR3-1333 (6x2GB)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
Sound Card: On board card\
Hard Drive: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
CD/DVD: Pioneer 22x DVD-RW
Case: Antec QUIET P183 Gunmail Grey
Power: Antec CP 850W
CPU Cooling: Gelid Tranquillo

I will be using my existing keyboard, speakers, mouse and external drive.

Additionally, I'm thinking of having Puget Systems build the machine for me as it's a task I'm not comfortable undertaking. The quote they've given me for the above is less than four hours of labor at the rate that my current computer technician charges above what the parts would cost me if I ordered them online.

Any and all suggestions are welcome as I'm well beyond my comfort zone.

Thanks.

Paul

At the price RAM goes, and especially 12GB, it's a lot. Also, you wouldn't need THAT much RAM.
Here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225
It's 3x2 (6GB) RAM, and it's DDRIII-1600.

Since you're having big files like this, a 500GB will be full quite fast. Here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136490
Western Digital 1TB for $80.

You can buy one or two...that's to your discretion. There are 2TB available, but they are more prone for problems, and backing the drive up is a pain in the rear.

At last, the graphics. A GT240 is a low-end, but will do the job, but you can achieve better.
Here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434
GTX260 for $200.

I've done graphics on it, not too heavy, because I'm a noob, but it does it without hiccups.

Other than that, your rig is fine.

What would be a fair amount to pay for someone to build a machine?

I have a tech support person that I've used for years, but he doesn't seem to have an interest in building so I'm forced to seek another avenue. I priced the components I submtted for review at Newegg and when compared to what Puget Systems will charge me for a complete and tested build the difference is less than four billable hours at the hourly rate of the tech support person I use. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks.

Paul

Normally, it shouldn't take 4 hours to build a system with the proper tools. I spent 2h30 including frustration and cable management.

There's two things you can do:

1)Grab some videos and learn how to build it yourself.

2)Find local shops and ask how much they pay. Normally, it shouldn't go over $80.

Power supply is over kill. You shouldn't need over 600 watts, and that's tons of over head. I would also go with a 5770 or 5850.

Normally, it shouldn't take 4 hours to build a system with the proper tools. I spent 2h30 including frustration and cable management.

There's two things you can do:

1)Grab some videos and learn how to build it yourself.

2)Find local shops and ask how much they pay. Normally, it shouldn't go over $80.

1. To be honest, building one myself scares the you know what out of me. I'm not the most mechanically adept person, to say the least, and have never come close to attempting something like this before. Were the dollar amounts smaller I might be more willing to give this a shot, but the thought of having all this money tied up in a faulty build and then have to pay someone to fix the mess isn't an appealing thought. Yeah, to some degree it's a lack of confidence.

I've looked at some videos and they do make it seem as if I would be able to do it myself, but it's also evident from what I've seen that there's often an unexpected situation that needs to be dealt with and that's where I fear I'd be at an impasse.

2. All things equal I'd prefer to work with a local builder and not one across the country even though Puget has a stellar reputation. I've approached my tech support person about building one for me and his response was to give me a machine built by someone else, unknown to me, that included some parts that I didn't want. I contacted him again about modifications and he hasn't responded, which is something that he's always been very good at, so while I will reach out to him again, I'm getting the sense that he doesn't want to take this on.

I also contacted a local computer builder and repair shop and was given a few of quotes of machines that they put together. None were precisely what I wanted and the descriptions of what was actually going in the machine was rather vague. Is it considered bad form to go to them with a set up that I want? I don't think so, but I'd never go to a restaurant and tell the chef how to prepare a dish and don't know if this would be perceived in the same manner.

I honestly don't see myself building one, but I hope to reach the point where I can specify what I want in the case and for a reasonable fee have someone actually build it.

Power supply is over kill. You shouldn't need over 600 watts, and that's tons of over head. I would also go with a 5770 or 5850.

Thanks for your input GibsonSGKing. I'm at the beginning of a very steep learning curve for me as I'm starting this with very little knowledge of what will meet my needs in a cost effective manner.

1. To be honest, building one myself scares the you know what out of me. I'm not the most mechanically adept person, to say the least, and have never come close to attempting something like this before. Were the dollar amounts smaller I might be more willing to give this a shot, but the thought of having all this money tied up in a faulty build and then have to pay someone to fix the mess isn't an appealing thought. Yeah, to some degree it's a lack of confidence.

I've looked at some videos and they do make it seem as if I would be able to do it myself, but it's also evident from what I've seen that there's often an unexpected situation that needs to be dealt with and that's where I fear I'd be at an impasse.

2. All things equal I'd prefer to work with a local builder and not one across the country even though Puget has a stellar reputation. I've approached my tech support person about building one for me and his response was to give me a machine built by someone else, unknown to me, that included some parts that I didn't want. I contacted him again about modifications and he hasn't responded, which is something that he's always been very good at, so while I will reach out to him again, I'm getting the sense that he doesn't want to take this on.

I also contacted a local computer builder and repair shop and was given a few of quotes of machines that they put together. None were precisely what I wanted and the descriptions of what was actually going in the machine was rather vague. Is it considered bad form to go to them with a set up that I want? I don't think so, but I'd never go to a restaurant and tell the chef how to prepare a dish and don't know if this would be perceived in the same manner.

I honestly don't see myself building one, but I hope to reach the point where I can specify what I want in the case and for a reasonable fee have someone actually build it.

Thanks for your input GibsonSGKing. I'm at the beginning of a very steep learning curve for me as I'm starting this with very little knowledge of what will meet my needs in a cost effective manner.

There is no reason you can't build a computer. It's painfully easy. We are always here to answer any and every question you might have. I look at computers as big lego kits when it comes to piecing them together. Getting compatible parts is honestly the hardest part. It's incredibly hard to screw up a computer build, seeing as you physically can not put something in the wrong spot. Everything has a specific connector. With common sense, building a computer is easy.

Back
Top Bottom