Possible driver issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastshot

In Runtime
Whats up TF,
So I picked up a laptop a couple of months ago, and It has been AWESOME. A few weeks ago I did some windows updates, and I also updated the Graphics card drivers directly from the Toshiba website. Heres my problem. Now on startup, I get stuck at the "Please wait" screen that appears after the Vista splashscreen for a good minute and half. Also, When I am doing anything multimedia related, I get a random hang/stutter in which any video/movement is frozen in place and audio repeats rapidly. This lasts for about 2-3 seconds and then computer goes back to being fine. I read about the "please wait" screen problem being an issue with drivers, so I already re-downloaded the drivers and reinstalled after uninstalling the old one. Any help is much appreciated!

The laptop can be found here on newegg.
Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite P305-S8919 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T9550(2.66GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 4GB Memory DDR2 800 400GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 - Laptops / Notebooks
It's a TOSHIBA Satellite P305-S8919
Thanks again in advance!

Have you tried a system restore to a point prior to the bad driver install to ensure it is the issue?

for future reference I always prefer to get the drivers from nvidia or ati depending upon your gpu. Uninstalling the old driver, restarting then installing the new ones after.

Have you tried a system restore to a point prior to the bad driver install to ensure it is the issue? for future reference I always prefer to get the drivers from nvidia or ati depending upon your gpu. Uninstalling the old driver, restarting then installing the new ones after.
First off, thank you for the fast response!
If i could, I would like to avoid a system restore, I installed a few programs after the update, and left a couple of the program disks at home, and I still need Photoshop for my classes.

I would like to try getting drivers directly off ATI, but everytime I select Driver downloads for "Vista 64>Mobility Radeon>" there is no 4650 Choice, only the regular desktop Radeons have the option for a 4650, but I'm afraid that they will not work with my mobility Version.

try using driver sweeper after you uninstall and prior to re-installation.

The best way to clean drivers is to first uninstall the drivers using the official uninstallers, reboot in Safe Mode and run Guru3D - Driver Sweeper. However, rebooting and not going into Safe Mode also works, but can cause some files not to be cleaned.
Guru3D - Driver Sweeper (Setup) download from Guru3D.com

If that does not help see if you can get the older version that worked and install it using drive sweeper as well.

try using driver sweeper after you uninstall and prior to re-installation.

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper (Setup) download from Guru3D.com

If that does not help see if you can get the older version that worked and install it using drive sweeper as well.

I just Followed all those steps, I found something strange. When I went to clean the drivers, there was a couple Nividia Drivers, Along with a Physx Driver? I cleaned those off, since I know for sure I have an ATI card. During the restart, It still took awhile on the "Please wait" screen. I am now downloading new Drivers for my card. Also, Thanks again for the help.

*EDIT* Attached a picture of what I am seeing in Driver Sweeper...Any Ideas? I just finished installing fresh drivers and I'm still getting a long "please wait" screen. It hasn't Stuttered yet during video playback, but It happends randomely(sometimes every few minutes, sometimes once a day)

Attachments

• Driver issue.jpg
    Driver issue.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 35
Driver Sweeper shows that cause it gives you the option to choose which set of drivers you want removed. It isnt saying you HAVE all of them installed. I see ATi listed and i have never even had a ATi card in this machine.

You choose which ones you want removed. It isnt auto-detecting them.

Driver Sweeper shows that cause it gives you the option to choose which set of drivers you want removed. It isnt saying you HAVE all of them installed. I see ATi listed and i have never even had a ATi card in this machine.

You choose which ones you want removed. It isnt auto-detecting them.

Oh ok, now it makes sense. I was worried somebody had tried to install Nvidia drivers.

*EDIT* I've searched around the internet before, but I finally stumbled across something that sounds exactly like my problem. Somebody suggested checking out event viewer, and that errors labeled 100-199 have to deal with startup. I have alot of errors numbered 100-199.

Heres a link to the thread( diff forum)
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-insta...sta-ultamate-slow-boot-up-loaded-quad-pc.html

For this i need 2 things. 1 some info on what the errors reported are. 2 You to go into Start>Run>msconfig and remove everything but your security Software from starting up.

See if that helps reduce the amount of items that give errors.

For this i need 2 things. 1 some info on what the errors reported are. 2 You to go into Start>Run>msconfig and remove everything but your security Software from starting up.

See if that helps reduce the amount of items that give errors.

Alright,
I have disabled all programs under startup under MSconfig,( except antivirus and a Cysco NAC agent so I can connect to the schools network).

As far as the errors go, I am getting an error code 100, 101, 200 and 300.

The 100 error is "Critical", under the general tab it says

Windows has started up:
Boot Duration : 119231ms
IsDegradation : false
Incident Time (UTC) : 11/12/2009 11:11:07 PM

The 101 is "warning" and under the General tab it says

This application took longer than usual to start up, resulting in a performance degradation in the system startup process:
File Name : svchost.exe
Friendly Name : Host Process for Windows Services
Version : 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)
Total Time : 717ms
Degradation Time : 381ms
Incident Time (UTC) : 11/12/2009 11:11:07 PM

The other two errors are for shutdown and standby, which seem to be working fine. If this isn't the info you needed, or you want me to upload The log files, let me know. Thanks again in advance.

Unfortunately the process that is failing is a critical component. Judging by your screen shot i see that it is Vista which makes this even worse. As Vista doesnt have a repair option. So the only real advice i can give you, get information on how to do a In-Place Upgrade which is the Vista equivalent of a Repair of XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom