Portable air conditioners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehh, who ever told you that isn't very smart -.-

Higher R value, the more it insulates, it's the air pockets that makes insulation work, the only time expanding foam insulation doesn't work, is if you try to force a lot in small areas.

They wouldn't use this in newer higher end homes that are going for energy efficiency, especialy considering the cost to put this stuff in a home compared to traditional pink insulation.

My in-laws use a similar (larger) unit in their garage/shop, as you are looking at. They have it close to their dryer vent, so they vented it through there. It cools the ~2000sq foot garage pretty good, and can/will cool the connecting hall if the door is open. However, they've bought a new A/C to replace the portable one, because it wasn't cooling that large space very effectively. However, those are quite expensive, if you don't plan on staying at the current location.

They bought one of these (not the exact model, I don't think, but could be...)

Friedrich M24CF 2 Ton, 18 SEER Cooling Only Mini-Split System, 230 Volts, R-410A Refrigerant

Ehh, who ever told you that isn't very smart -.-

Higher R value, the more it insulates, it's the air pockets that makes insulation work, the only time expanding foam insulation doesn't work, is if you try to force a lot in small areas.

They wouldn't use this in newer higher end homes that are going for energy efficiency, especialy considering the cost to put this stuff in a home compared to traditional pink insulation.

The guy who told me this built his own house and with 2 4ton units (up stairs and down stairs) they keep their house at 69f year round and with me living there the electric bill was 193. I was folding at the time too (in may when it was already around 90-100f outside). Id say that it works pretty **** good.

Either or, not my house that needs it. Was just dropping an opinion from what i was told and seen. :thumbsup:

Why do people measure them in weight like that and not BTU??? -.-

Anyways, two units should keep any house ice cold, but, a lot of houses that come with regular small units, can't keep up with heat like this -.-

Thanks for the info. I am going to try some spray foam insulation around the unit and see if that helps.

If I do decide to buy a bigger unit, portable or window unit, are there any brands that I should stay away from?

We do have a central air unit but it does not do a good job for the upstairs rooms maybe because there is only two vents upstairs. It does fine in rest of the house.

Maybe you could talk about getting more vents upstairs? Its probably real hot cause all the heat is rising to the upstairs rooms and there isnt enough cool air coming through to balance it out.

Sorry if it seems like im avoiding your question but i dont know much about brands of AC units. Just how they work.

The ones I seen on ebay do not have to be drained at all. They also claim they can cool up to 500 sq ft.

Here is one example:
SHARP CV-P10PC PORTABLE AIR CONDITIONER 10,000BTU~WHITE - eBay (item 270557848886 end time Jul-02-10 07:42:24 PDT)

i have that EXACT model i think mine might be a lil higher end my rents payed bout 800$ for it new at best buy. i can tell you its a monster. we have several window units and this is the best one in the house turn on the megacool and prepare yourself for beer chilling temperatures, i kid you not. its also preaty good on electricity.

i would also like to note i have my unit in a basement venting out a window and it works great i am a smoker going thrue a pack in about 3/4 days, my brother smokes green, and i can tell you being in the room you dont smell any sort of smoke on clothes, laundry bedding or even in the air. i find when my unit is off i get very tired, and in this season my allergies are usualy bad, but this machine worcks great, i havent had an attack since i have had this thing in my room( the basement). i would also like to note its unfinished so similar to an attic environment

i have that EXACT model i think mine might be a lil higher end my rents payed bout 800$ for it new at best buy. i can tell you its a monster. we have several window units and this is the best one in the house turn on the megacool and prepare yourself for beer chilling temperatures, i kid you not. its also preaty good on electricity.

i would also like to note i have my unit in a basement venting out a window and it works great i am a smoker going thrue a pack in about 3/4 days, my brother smokes green, and i can tell you being in the room you dont smell any sort of smoke on clothes, laundry bedding or even in the air. i find when my unit is off i get very tired, and in this season my allergies are usualy bad, but this machine worcks great, i havent had an attack since i have had this thing in my room( the basement). i would also like to note its unfinished so similar to an attic environment

How do you go about putting the vent out the window without having to have the window open? Do you have to buy a special window with a hole cut in it for the vent tube or is there some way you can do it yourself?

How do you go about putting the vent out the window without having to have the window open? Do you have to buy a special window with a hole cut in it for the vent tube or is there some way you can do it yourself?

i have my window open. i have it open to the minimum ammount i need to fit the vent in, and i cut out a thick box measure the remaining space and cut it to that measurement, from there i just use some duct tape to reinforce the cardbord holding it in place. you could do it wit ha cheap peace of foam to. if you use expanding foam only use it to secure the vent and a peice of foam or cardboard in place dont use that stuff to fill the hole its preaty big. imo a peace of foam and some duct tape is your best bet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom