Port Security on SOHO

With the majority of the Linksys routers I've dealt with, I can't recall seeing this as an available option. What are you trying to do, exactly?

I'm studying for my security + and trying to do some practice labs for better understanding as of right now I do not have a lab book until next month, any advice or suggestions to prepare me for the test?

You'd want a switch, not a router, and consumer gear isn't going to cut it. You'd need a managed switch that supports port security, like most Cisco or HP enterprise switches. In lieu of hardware, a simulator like Packet Tracer should also work. I believe that you'd have to be enrolled in Cisco's Netacademy to get a legit copy of Packet Tracer, but there may be other open source programs that you could find.

I have to mention that you should at least have a basic understanding of switching if you're going to learn about port-security, otherwise I don't think that you'll understand it on the level that you should.

I know what a switch is. I do have my CompTIA A+ and was told that many switches are implemented in todays routers, I am just not familiar with port security besides it being on a switch having MAC addresses filtering.

Well, there's a difference between knowing what a switch is and understanding layer 2 switching. Anyway, your best bet is probably a simulator, although old switches can be found for cheap on ebay and goodwill. Plenty of people have built their CCNA labs that way.

Back
Top Bottom